Less homework in school?

it is not similar at all. trust me ive been there with both, and school is patheticly easy compared to trying to start out in an international company on an apprenticeship, school is far too easy these days.. and there is nowhere near enough homework for the kids to do, more homework, and actually allowing the teachers to dicipline the kids at school would control them alot better. i have not been out of school too long (nearly 4 years) and as far as what is easier, school is a walk in the park.

I'll agree that school is easy- heck I'm in AP physics and without doing homework I'll ace the tests, but I don't think more homework is the answer. I think the school day should be longer and they should get rid of homework so that if you have time to do stuff and have someone there to help you if you need it (lets face it, who remembers their calc after 20 years aside from math teachers? Having someone there who knows what they are doing to help is a lot more beneficial than your parents in 90% of cases) and then if you don't need the help you have a location where you can do your work that needs to get done.

And yes, teachers should be able to discipline the students. Having to do all the paperwork and crap to send them to the office takes longer than just having a paddle on the wall to get it done in 10 seconds.

Really? didn't know that haha. What are the summers like in the UK?

Your right though about alot of US houses having AC. Around here where I live A/C is something thats really nice to have in the summer (alot of summer days here in Alabama are over 90F, I've seen it as hot 110F and alot of days the relative humidity is over 90%). You really learn to appreciate it when you have to go without it, when I was younger and lived in Georgia we had central heat/air and the house was always comfortable. But in the summers I would stay with my grandparent's in their old ass house (built in the 1870s). It had no central heat/air (still don't haha) but when I was a young lad though they had an old window AC unit..but as I recall it crapped out alot so often we'd have all the doors and windows open trying to catch a breeze:p
well the climate over in the UK is a lot more milder than that ,
usual summer temps are maxed at about 32 degree Celsius , which is aprox 90F although average temp in summer months is about 80F a few years back when we had a heatwave the max temp was like 100F and that was like a record

As for homework what annoyed me most when i was aty highschool was the kids who would never do homework and then when it was like 2weeks before the exam they would be the ones whining and getting all the teachers attention when i think it should be the kids who have put the effort in through all of the course

well the climate over in the UK is a lot more milder than that ,
usual summer temps are maxed at about 32 degree Celsius , which is aprox 90F although average temp in summer months is about 80F a few years back when we had a heatwave the max temp was like 100F and that was like a record

As for homework what annoyed me most when i was aty highschool was the kids who would never do homework and then when it was like 2weeks before the exam they would be the ones whining and getting all the teachers attention when i think it should be the kids who have put the effort in through all of the course
Yeah, the kids that fail the test then ask for retakes?
At my school, we get some homework, but its NEVER graded. That's what pisses me off. If a test is work 95% of your grade, why spend an hour or two on the homework, if the teacher doesnt even look at the work you did. Much more satisfying to go hang with some friends, or play a game...

we used to get detention for not doing homewprk when i was going to school...does that not happen anymore?..actually knowing this world these days there is probably a law against giving detention

Yeah, the kids that fail the test then ask for retakes?
At my school, we get some homework, but its NEVER graded. That's what pisses me off. If a test is work 95% of your grade, why spend an hour or two on the homework, if the teacher doesnt even look at the work you did. Much more satisfying to go hang with some friends, or play a game...

retakes arent an issue in some circumstances for instance i recently resat one of my computing papeaers at college because when i first took it it was my first ever exam at a new college and i wasnt very confident about it and on the day i got really bad exam nerves , although i still got a B on my first attempt so i didnt exactly fail first time round

but my opinion is if you didnt put enough effort in the first time then why even bother the second time that dosent represent what happens in real life . At my college you actually have to pay yourself for any retakes you wish to take which puts a lot of students off taking them and then the ones that do resit generally put the work ins econd time because now its costing them

I hate teachers who set homework and then never mark it properly whats the point in setting homework when they arent going to mark it , i thought the whole point of homework was so that the teacher could individually keep track of progress and identify which students are struggling where
it would certainly put me off doing any homework if my teachers didnt mark it because they arent putting the effort in so why should I

we used to get detention for not doing homewprk when i was going to school...does that not happen anymore?..actually knowing this world these days there is probably a law against giving detention

Last time I had a detention was in 6th grade when a kid threw a carrot at me, it flew across the lunch room, and I didn't pick it up because I was trying to explain to the teacher that I didn't throw it.

nope at my highschool you still got detention for not doing homework as well as being late for class or some teachers would even keep you over during lunch and break for not doing it
and my maths teacher used to embarass student in front of our whole class if they didnt do their homework

at my college however they dont give detentions if you dont do homework because its more of an adult environment and a lot of teachers wont be willing to put the effort in with you as a student if you dont put the effort in as a pupil and they arent as desperate to mee government targest etc for exam results

or spending the whole of lunchtime picking up rubbish that was another punishment that used to suck

yer that was a punishment used at our school too at least sometimes the worse punishment was spending lunchtime with a teacher cos they woudl make you sit there at the window watching all your friends having fun , i remember one year our school tried to do the whole community thing and actually made each class pick litter up on alternate weeks that idea went down like a lead balloon
although our headteacher used to walk round picking litter up too

The worst punishment we have at our Highschool is saturdays school. You can either pick up trash for an hour, or work on homework for 4 hours, and yes, it IS on saturday at 8am.

Havent had the privilege of going yet thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom