Best graphics card that works with 375 watts?

UCAA Elite

Beta member
My PC can only handle 375 watts. Dell makes weird shaped PSU's and I am stuck with this. What is the best card I can get on a budge of 375 watts. I use two CD/DVD drives and one hdd. Dell XPS 410. The best one I could find was an 8600GT. So I have two questions, what is the best card out there that will work with this set up and is there a way to get have, I don't know if this sound ridiculous or not, but an external power supply that will add an extra ~250 watts to my overall so I can get a 9800.

You could get buy with a 9800GT on that rig. They require a minimum of 400W, but from what I've seen, the Dell power supplies are pretty stout and are capable of running high powered video cards.

From a review of the Dell XPS 410 at Anandtech:
Some might be concerned that the 375W PSU may prove insufficient for driving a GX2. NVIDIA recommends 425-450W for the GX2, but depending on PSU quality you may be able to get by with less. Our power draw results indicate that there should be more than enough power available for a GX2, as previous testing has shown that a GX2 card doesn't consume substantially more power than a 7900 GTX due to the difference in clock speeds.

I'm running 2 8600gt they require 350. But just for your information. If you have an inspiron you can fit a new psu. I'm on a dell inspiron 531.

Read his original post Ronspc. He clearly stated that he has a Dell XPS 410.

Sorry missed that. I'm on my phone bit difficult to keep up. But I guess that's how dell suckers you out of money. Correct me if wrong but aren't the XPS's suppose to be gaming computers. If so why the heck would they give you less than 400 watts? That is if my assumptions are correct.

Yes, they were aimed at gamers and did a fairly good job at it. Depending on the options you ordered, there was an available 425W power supply.

Back
Top Bottom