Transfering files

swede77

Solid State Member
Alright, well heres the situation:

I just built a new computer, and decided to give my old computer to my dad. My dad's computer has all sorts of business stuff on it that he absolutely needs, but his computer is really starting to get really slow, and he is running out of hard drive space.

What we need to do is the files and settings from his computer to my old computer, without keeping the stuff on my computer. We pretty much want it to be his computer (his programs, his files, his music), but with my hardware. currently, both computers are plugged into the same router, but can easily be plugged into each other. Now, here's the twist: His computer is partitioned between 2 hard drives, while my old computer has only 1 HD. Also, although i dont know if this matters, we are running different versions of windows XP (mine is media center and his is home).

Please, any help on how we could possibly do this would be very much appreciated.

If they are on the same network and work group, you should be able to run the files and settings transfer wizard. It's in windows XP and should be in Vista as well.

External hard drive? That's what I used when I had to transfer a big load of documents.

Back
Top Bottom