Considering repartitioning

If the recovery partition is at the beginning of the drive followed by C you would first have to use GParted to move the C primary towards the front to first fill in the now vacant drive space before you can expand it out towards the rear of the drive afterwards. That's all it will take for that.

Oh...yea, the recovery drive is ahead of the C drive. If I put the C drive in front, it'll be fine? So basically, I can't move the front of a partition, only the end of it?

Once you shrink the partition in front of the one you plan to expand an opening of unallocated drive space appears. With the D recovery partition reduced in size you fill that gap in by moving the C primary towards the D recovery being at the front.

Once you have C moved the empty space then simply appears at the back of the drive where you then simply expand C into that space. The longest part is moving partitions depending on size while the extension and process of expanding only takes a minute with a tool like GParted.

That empty is often confused by many as another partition when the term merging partitions is actually expanding the existing partition into a bunch of unallocated bare drive space with nothing on it. Simply bump the C up against the D and expand out into that.

Once you shrink the partition in front of the one you plan to expand an opening of unallocated drive space appears. With the D recovery partition reduced in size you fill that gap in by moving the C primary towards the D recovery being at the front.

Once you have C moved the empty space then simply appears at the back of the drive where you then simply expand C into that space. The longest part is moving partitions depending on size while the extension and process of expanding only takes a minute with a tool like GParted.

That empty is often confused by many as another partition when the term merging partitions is actually expanding the existing partition into a bunch of unallocated bare drive space with nothing on it. Simply bump the C up against the D and expand out into that.

Got it. "C" is getting snuggly with "recovery" as we speak...lol I'll post how it goes.

Well....the same thing happened...made it almost all the way to the end and threw me an error message.

"Libparted messages
Input/output error during read on /dev/sda"

Just in case..."Dev/sda" is my drive.

I don't get it...

dev/sda is the same as HD1 or hard drive #1. The problem may have been with the burned disk not being read for a second while booted live from that.

Remember moving any good sized partition means no interruptions while in progress. Once you set the amount of drive space proceeding C to 0 and click on apply GParted then starts moving the primary by copying bits at a time from one place to the other to see it reassembled there.

Have a lens cleaning disk onhand? Once the beginning of the partition is at the 0 bytes spot the next step is simply to click resize and grab the end of the indicator tab like clamps and drag that end to the back of the drive to then click apply for that.

Even if you decided to remove the hidden recovery partition you would still have to move the C primary to the front unless planning a totally fresh start on a new primary simply to save on time. Partitioning time that is not installing everything over from scratch. :eek: "what did I do?":(

I don't have a cleaning disk. I'll try burning a new gParted disk I guess. But, if the disk/drive is the problem, why did it work first try with no problem when I shrank the recovery drive?

I tried moving C so I could then grab the back of it to take up the unallocated space but it won't even move it. It won't resize it...won't move it...nothing. It makes it right to the end and gives me that error message.

Could I just turn that unallocated space into another drive and call it a day?

Did you click on the resize button first before grabbing or clearing the number bringing that down to 0 bytes? A bad burn can't be ruled out or it didn't load fully on the next attempt.

I generally burn a few downloads of GParted in case of seeing a coaster to keep onhand. Which release did you go for when seeing the article?

I did do it from the resize screen.

I got the newest "stable" version that I saw...lol

Back
Top Bottom