Help purchasing a computer from a friend

GibsonSGKing

Daemon Poster
Im about to buy a computer from a friend. It is in an HP case, with an HP mobo, and has an athlon at 2.0 ghz. single core. It has 1gb of kingston ram, and the vid card is an Nvidia 9500 GT. I guess thats what it is, somethin like that. And my other friend said I can have his pentium dual core that is clocked at 2.2 ghz. So i figure, buy the computer ($100), get a new mobo, put in the new processor, profit. Right? or am I getting ripped off?

So basically what I'm asking is, is it worth the money, or should I just get a new computer and upgrade it with a video card? I only have around $170 to spend on this right now...

i don't know if hp cases are propiatory or not...i know my dell case is, and i can't just buy any motherboard and put it inside.

You are probably going to find that the case is microATX and the PSU is as well--however, HP PSUs are just funky to begin with... So long story short, you probably won't fit a normal ATX board in that case, and if you find a microATX board to fit, the PSU might not have the right connections for it. That's what I'm thinking--especially since I'm dealing with one right now.

You are probably going to find that the case is microATX and the PSU is as well--however, HP PSUs are just funky to begin with... So long story short, you probably won't fit a normal ATX board in that case, and if you find a microATX board to fit, the PSU might not have the right connections for it. That's what I'm thinking--especially since I'm dealing with one right now.

I dont know, but the case is really big. And I might not even swap it out. But do you feel it is a fair deal giving the computer? or am I being ripped off? I just want to play some modern games on it on around medium, nothing extraordinary. Will this do what I want it to?

I dont know, but the case is really big. And I might not even swap it out. But do you feel it is a fair deal giving the computer? or am I being ripped off? I just want to play some modern games on it on around medium, nothing extraordinary. Will this do what I want it to?

Not really, I mean that CPU is old, like mine, and it only has 1GB of ram, and the 9500GT isn't a very good gamers card.

It will play some games, but not w/ the settings cranked all high.

Not really, I mean that CPU is old, like mine, and it only has 1GB of ram, and the 9500GT isn't a very good gamers card.

It will play some games, but not w/ the settings cranked all high.

All I want is to play the games on medium on 1280 X 900 resolution. Also, I plan on upping the ram to 2 gigs. And its on XP, so no vista memory hog.

I found out that I can build a new one for $273. 320 gig HDD, DVD burner, this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814127333R
Am I forgetting something here? Btw, my friend is going to give me his old pentium dual core at 2.2 ghz, so I dont need to worry about the processor. also thinking of this. Pentium D means pentium dual core right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153056
I dont really plan on overclocking, and it looks like this board has PLENTY of headroom for me. I can upgrade the cpu if I would want to, and it will take TONS of ram. Also it has alot more pci slots then the other boards. and only $4 more then the other board I was looking at.

so will this all be good? or is there something else I should get?

Back
Top Bottom