Things are being deleted on my computer

usaf161

Beta member
I have an E-Machine with windows xp home. A few days ago I noticed that several icons were missing from my desktop. When I did a search nothing came up. I tried to use the built in calculator from the run menu and it said it could not be found.

A few days later when I woke up the computer had rebooted and Internet Eplorer and Windows Media Player was gone.

I did a virus scan and it came back clean. Any ideas as to what is going on?

I also tried to do a System restore and was told my computer could not be restored.

I have a DSL modem and a router hooked up.

I think you are going to be stuck performing at least a repair install if not a full recovery if you are unable to restore the registry from a backup. That's the problem being seen there. Hopefully the recovery option allows for repair and not just seeing everything wiped for the fresh factory.

No, it is just a system restore to an earlier date. I do not have install CDs, it has a D drive for recovery but it will not let me.

I have never seen a computer do this before. Any ideas as to why it is.

If you are not infected with any bugs the usual cause is a registry problem or the video drivers are no longer fully loading up but hanging on you. Those and the explorer.exe main gui file are key for a working desktop.

Someone about a year or so back had an older Emachines model without disks and called their tech support. Once the serial number and other customer information was provided the service tech emailed a link out for seeing several cds made up for a full reinstall of all prepackaged softwares/drivers as well as Windows.

The support sites usually provide instructions for extracting files in order to make your own right from there as another thought. But since that system was done the owner simply bought a full install oem disk and saw that used where all updates were downloaded without the softwares however.

That turned out to be a totally fresh start with everything up and running as the last resort.

Back
Top Bottom