SWEET! Buggy time (long)

Half Evil

Golden Master
Okay, well it started out as me running my mouth with things I want to do in the school shop. All it took was one guy I knew to make it happen.

So, we decided to make a buggy. He bought 100' of 1.5'' diameter 3/16'' wall pipe. So, we got this badass 1987 Civic

So, I called the guy. He verbally said in the craigslist ad and on the phone it ran great and no problems. I go see the guy after an hour drive with my friends money. He was busy and couldnt go, and he will pay for everything and I get to work and build this thing and he gets to keep it :D Anyways, I meet this guy after an hour drive. Soon as I see him he pulls out a cigarette. No hand shake and no Hi. I check it out, thourogh inspection and everything. Give it a little test run after a 10 minute warm up to operating temp. He checks out, everything is great. I give him the $399 dollars for the car, and my buddy (someone totally separate) head out.

We get going on the high way. After about 20 minutes of driving, I get a call from my buddy driving it saying its overheating. Sure enough I check it out water pump stopped working. We let it cool, and nurse it along and it overheats again. This time it gets so hot the fuel boils and we have to leave it along side the road. I call the guy, he had turned off his phone and I leave a message saying i'm going to take legal actaion for violation of verbal and written contract (CL ad), and I hang up.

Cop stops shortly after that, I tell him the situation and he said cancel the check. Only way he could get the money is to take us to Civil/small claim court. He said judging by this guy he wouldnt come after us.

The next day, a few friends and I go get it. Pics:

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

And we get it to the school. Give it a good once over and look at the title things.

This guy hadnt owned the car for over a month before he rolled it over and sold it. The title wasnt even in his name. The title was signed off by someone else so he never legally owned it. No way he could come after me. Also, I didnt even sign the legal part for selling the vehicle. I signed transfer of responsibly, or something like that. Either way, no way this guy can come after me or my money. To bad he does have my address though.... and he looks like a meth head.

Anyways, figured that out. And I had the title in my hand that had been legally signed off. So its all good, we kept the money and the car :D

So, we start to strip it. Pictures tomorrow. But we are taking everything usable, minus the engine and tranny. Not even worth it to fix. Because I got for free (picking up this weekend) a 2.0Vtech Prelude engine with 130k miles, and transaxle, all steering and suspension components from the car as well.

We also are stripping this Honda in the picture of everything usable. Steering, suspension, steering, tires, exhaust, everything! Then we will cut it up and get scrap metal money for it. I will make a work log of this if anyone is interested.

Actually, i'd be all over a 350 but that defeats the purpose of what we wanna do.

See, basically that engine would make this entirely to heavy for what we want. We want these to stay light so we float on whatever we are driving on. We dont want to dig into what we are driving on. Thats why we are light enough to stay on top, but get bad ass tires in the back to grip whatever we need.

See with a 350 we would sink and its to much power for what we need. and those are front mounted because they turn a differential with a transmission and a driveline. Basically I am taking a front wheel drive car, and rear mounting it to make everything work in the back, even though it was front wheel drive (think VW bug).

oh okay.yeah it wouldn't make much sense putting a 350 in it.the ones i seen here in east texas are varied.front or rear wheel drive.how much do you think you gonna waste on it.was interested in buying a sandrail frame they wanted 300 bucks for but don't have the time or funds for.

See, this is what you were thinking of. This is 350 material

duthie036.jpg

And this is what I am going for

acmecarb2.jpg

Well, technically its not mine. Buddy is paying for everything. So far he has paid 180 dollars in metal, and since we didnt have to pay for this car, that is the only thing he has paid for.

And how much we pay for depends what we have to work on in the end.

Tomorrow and saturday I will have a shit ton of pictures and I will inventory everything and figure it all out.

You are using the engine out of the Civic? How about like an older aluminum? There is an old buick 3.9L V8 that weighs less then the 4 bangers in rangers. Someone was going to swap one into a Ranger, I'll see if I can find a picture of the engine.

REALLYLIGHT.jpg

That light enough?

I think he's using the civic for suspension and steering components, or maybe it's just steering components. And it look slike your passenger side front trailer tire is low on air.

Back
Top Bottom