building new server.

I am going have to disagree with what wmorri its best to get a static IP address from verizon. and also if you planning to run like wireless router setups and your own computer on network best thing to do is run smoothwall like this setup: Red NIC will be the incoming line from your ISP Green Nic would be personal computers Purple would be setup for wireless routers and Orange would be for Servers.

...if your FIOS is on DHCP you want to get a static IP address 2 if you wanna run a server.
This isn't entirely true. You can still run a webserver if you have a DHCP connections. All you need to do is get a dns name from a site like dyndns.com. Then you can just set it up in your router if you have the capability, or you set it up in your config file.

Smoothwall is an ok firewall but you really don't need it as long as you have a good router with a firewall. I don't know why you would need more than one NIC though, your not running a DHCP server. (But that would be a great other thread).

Cheers!

...its best to get a static IP address from verizon...

Hi,

I don't want to hijack the thread or anything I just have to say that statics cost a crap load of money I am talking about anything form $70-$200, or more. If you can just set up a server with dyndns.com for free and use your DHCP address. I don't see why you wouldn't want to. So I am going to have to disagree with getting a static.

That is all that I have to say about that. Lets see if we can get back to helping the OP set up his server.

Cheers!

static ip address from ISP are not 70 dollars there like 5-10 dollars more a month. because I know the local ISP I work for that is how much they charge for static ip address per month. or you can get a static IP for free like what my ISP did.

static ip address from ISP are not 70 dollars there like 5-10 dollars more a month. because I know the local ISP I work for that is how much they charge for static ip address per month. or you can get a static IP for free like what my ISP did.

**Edit: Not sure anymore. Looking at it further it looks like you might need a business account to have a static IP. But one Static IP address costs $5.25 from Qwest. Or a one time fee of $25.00.

Residential customers can get static IP's also trust me I am a Residential customer for my ISP and I got a free static IP. see this is the local ISP I work for:http://wabash.com/dsl.php
and this is my ISP http://hometowncable.net

I am not doubting you. I know they can as I used to have one as well, and it was cheap. But I am just not sure that every company offers them without a business package. I am not sure.

I know the smaller companies you can usually get them (like yours), but the larger ISP's I am not positive because I think I tried to get one from Qwest before. Once again though I am not sure.

Back
Top Bottom