Question about networks and user privlieges

Fisher

Fully Optimized
ok so i would like to share my network with a few select people in my house. its a large house of 12 people and i did have it setup so that everyone in the house could read the files that i have such as movies and music etc and one shared folder were people could modify what they want.

the problem is that one of the house mates did something very malicious to another house mate over the xmas period. not going to go into details but it was bad and spiteful enough that i dont want this person as my friend anymore. my worry is that sharing these files with her leaves me a little vulnerable with all of my "legal" stuff on it.

i would like to set it up so that only certain users from other computers can see the files and use them. at the moment no one can see anything and i dont see why other people should suffer anymore because of what she has caused.

can i set it up so that everyone can see it but just block her?

erm do you want to block her from the whole network or just the file sharing
what hardware is set up on this network how is it all connected etc

not block her from the whole network she is entitled to that as much as iam, i just want to block her from seeing my files on my computer so i can share them with other people. everyone is connected by ethernet or wireless to a netgear routor. i know she is using vista32 home premium and i am using vista64 home premium as well

Well you could remove the Everyone group from the folder and create users for the roommates who are allowed to access the folder. But they would have to log in to view them.

**Also not 100% sure if you can do this in Vista Home.

so would i have to create lots of users on my computer for everyone that i wanted to see my files?

You could try enabling Password Protected Sharing from the Network and Sharing Centre, and just give all the people you want to access your files your username and password, but don't give it to the chick you don't want to see the files. You can access this from Home Premium, as thats what my laptop runs and I have it set up.

Matt

P.S Guru!! (looks at post count)

ok thats a good idea ill have a look at that later on after ive done some work

Back
Top Bottom