Why is my internet so slow?

rohan23

Fully Optimized
It's been like this for 4 days now. The ISP said there was nothing wrong with the lines and it could just be traffic. I used to get an download speed close to 4000kbps and now I'm barely hitting 300.

There are no viruses, no major hardware changes to the computer, everything is seated fine, and I've tried defragmenting my hard drive and doing a disk cleanup.

Where the heck are you testing at?

The closest test server is 2250 miles away? If you use/have a closer one you will get better results.

No, that cant be. Thats about the length of the united states.

He is testing something on the other coast.

I normally get about 15mb down according to that test and when I test 2250 mi away, I only get 5 mb down.

Also when you are doing the test do you have a lot of internet windows open?

Also keep in mind that test is no where near accurate to what your potential download speed.

This is the one I like to use and seems to be fairly accurate.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Do you download alot of torrents?

I have heard that alot of ISPs lower your bandwith if you download alot, even if your contract has unlimited downloads.

Do you have wireless on your router? It Could be possible someone is eating your Bandwidth through wireless.

You should put a WPA-TSK2 Security key on it,or if you dont use it disable it.

firstly make phone calls and check what is the speed of your net committed and what is going on and also other way you can try Click on tools at top of page ,on drop down click internet options..here delete cookies,temp files and,clear history.

calculating DL speed is extremely easy and 99% accurate in most cases. no way is the test off

Well I tested multiple sites around me. The Results are all over the place, so how can it be accurate. Of course it is accurate at the rate you are communicating with that server, but it isn't really accurate at telling you how fast your connection is compared to how fast it should be. I know it isn't hard to do a speed test, but there are so many factors that play into it that make it inaccurate. The only true way to test your speed would be to do a test directly to your ISP.

Do you have wireless on your router? It Could be possible someone is eating your Bandwidth through wireless.

You should put a WPA-TSK2 Security key on it,or if you dont use it disable it.

I do use wireless, and we have a WEP key on it.

firstly make phone calls and check what is the speed of your net committed and what is going on and also other way you can try Click on tools at top of page ,on drop down click internet options..here delete cookies,temp files and,clear history.

I'm supposed to have a 5mb plan down and 2mb plan up. I already tried that method.

Well I tested multiple sites around me. The Results are all over the place, so how can it be accurate. Of course it is accurate at the rate you are communicating with that server, but it isn't really accurate at telling you how fast your connection is compared to how fast it should be. I know it isn't hard to do a speed test, but there are so many factors that play into it that make it inaccurate. The only true way to test your speed would be to do a test directly to your ISP.

When I tried a server in the same exact city as me, I only hit 500 going down and about 300 going up. So, not much difference.

Back
Top Bottom