Getting A Really Weird Mobo Alarm

dangerousbeme

In Runtime
Hello,

I just got some new RAM into my system. The installation was smooth and the computer has ran perfectly for about a day or so. However, starting today, an alarm on my motherboard has been going off.

My first thought was that there was some heating problem, but I checked my bios heat thresholds and case temperatures and the computer did not seem to be getting very hot.

I thought the alarm was just going off randomly, but I now realize there are certain things I can do to trigger it. For example, the alarm will typically go off when watching a flash video in firefox. If I pause the video, than it will stop after a few seconds, only to resume almost immediately after restarting the video.

I really don't know what is going on and am puzzled by how certain things I do are setting off this hardware alarm.

Try taking one of the new sticks out to try weed out the problem, it sounds like that one of the sticks has failed.

Post your specs aswell.

Which memory slots are you using?

I've tried to get the manual for this motherboard with no success.

So if your using DIMM slots 1 & 2 try using DIMM slots 1 & 3.

Yes, when I installed the RAM the computer would not boot when the RAM was installed in slots 1 and 2. Slots 1 and 3 did, indeed, work.

My computer boots just fine (there is that nice little quick beep to signal that nothing is wrong) and loads Windows without any hassle. It appears to be only when doing stressful activities that it starts to beep.

However, even when the alarm is going off there doesn't appear to be any problem with the computer. It performs as if there is no issue.

I tried each memory stick separately, but the alarm continued with both. I have gone back to my original RAM and there appears to be no issue.

Does anyone know what the alarm is trying to tell me?

EDIT: Huh. I just put back in my old RAM and while I could play a game for like 15-20 min without problems, the alarm has gone off again. I guess it may not be a problem with the new RAM?

Since you say it only happens when stressing your system, it does sound like you have an overheating problem. Check to make sure that your CPU isn't overheating and that the fan is operating properly and spinning at the correct RPM.

Back
Top Bottom