Chipset/Processor

The Processor is the CPU. This is the component that you can change on a motherboard and does all the number crunching with the help of the chipset.

The chipset is the Northbridge & Southbridge chips and these are high speed connections to the RAM, GPU, I/O, etc.

Consider this motherboard.

The chipset on this motherboard is the AMD 790GX + SB750.

The CPU becomes part of the chipset on the motherboard when added to the motherboard.

Right...... I think i kind of get it now, so you would have to change the chipset if you wanted a different socket for a processor or would you have to change motherboard and processor?

Right...... I think i kind of get it now, so you would have to change the chipset if you wanted a different socket for a processor or would you have to change motherboard and processor?

Kind of. The chipset is part of the motherboard. So if you wanted to use a different socket CPU then you would have to upgrade the motherboard which will mean a different chipset anyway.

Kind of. The chipset is part of the motherboard. So if you wanted to use a different socket CPU then you would have to upgrade the motherboard which will mean a different chipset anyway.

not always, but most of the time, I know the LGA775 and 478 sockets shared a few chipsets...

Back
Top Bottom