Best available processor?

patrioticpar83

Solid State Member
I am building a new system and figured I would start with the processor. I am building this computer to be the most powerful computer currently available. I am open to any brand though I will say the system will eventually have 2 gtx 295's in it so I'm leaning towards using an Intel chip.
I am also open to having this be a discussion on more than just processors if anyone has some input on mobos
I have heard soemthing about a new board which can take two processors. Is there any fact behind this? If so how well does it work?
Like I said I am trying to build the most powerful system available. So Im looking for the most powerful everything available.

How about the AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200 Dual Core 2.7 Ghz, 1MB Total L2 Cache.

Thats the one i am using just now.

Core i7 965 with the EVGA X58 motherboard. You'd think EVGA wouldn't produce a good OC'ing board, but this one was partially designed by the current OC champion.

I am building this computer to be the most powerful computer currently available.
Like I said I am trying to build the most powerful system available. So Im looking for the most powerful everything available.

How about the AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200 Dual Core 2.7 Ghz, 1MB Total L2 Cache.

Thats the one i am using just now.

:rolleyes: read the thread properly before replying

He asked for the most powerful one available is what I believe Lowndsey was getting at.

Your processor isn't bad but it definitely isn't the most powerful one available.

First off thanks for the reply.
While that is a good processor it is actually less powerful than the one I am currently using, and I was asking THE most powerful porcessor available.

And thanks to everyone else who replied

@jogabonito
the i7 965 sounds good, ive heard something about tri channel with your RAM which sounds awesome. The X58 also sounds great. Ive heard plenty of good things about it as well like the ability to do both crossfire and SLI.

What im wondering is how is the i7 series better than the Core 2 Extreme besides the smaller cache and lower power usage? namely the 965 vs the QX9775. Also what is demand based swithcing, which i think is new in the i7.

Also it is going to take me about 2-3 months to get all of the funds for this completely unnecessary purchase. Is there anything bigger and better thats supposed to come out in that time (up to like 6 months out)? if there is and its important enough of an upgrade I will probably wait. This goes for both chips and mobos. has anyone heard anything about that board that can take two processors? does this mean that i would be able to put two i7s in there and have 8 cores working for me?

Again thanks to everyone that replied

Back
Top Bottom