windows 7

i downloaded it, love it, except i had a problem, had anyways. But for some reason it wasn't recongizing my cd rom drive, it would turn on and everything, it was in device manager, but not im my computer or anything. Had to tweak some registry settings, unistall the device and search for it to get it to work though. But I think it's very nice. Haven't BSOD'd liek I usually do in vista...

The best move there would simply be shrinking the present 50gb down in size there leaving the XP Primary untouched to begin with. Once the second partition is reduced far enough you move that to the back of the drive(time consuming to some extent - be patient) and to see a new primary created in that now empty drive space for 7 to go on. Second primary for 2nd OS.

Once you install 7 onto the new primary it will then become the default OS with the option seen for "previous versions of Windows" seen when starting up. Windows 7 just like Vista has a new type of boot loader seen there. But the default OS can easily be changed with a free tool available as well.

These are all things that can be better worked out on a separate thread for advice and links that can be posted there since you are just getting started with the idea of dual booting. That would be the best place.

Just missed your post there Dieter. Having just replaced an optical drive here 7 saw a clean install with the new drive while Vista prompted finally with the new hardware found popup when finally going to boot into that when selecting that drive to boot from. The control panel in 7 is the place to look for all auto play settings for optical media there. You'll like the new settings screens.

Im about to DL it.
Which Version should i go for with my Gaming Rig (In Sig)
the 32 or the 64?

joga,

I just used my main PC. I used acronis true image to get a copy of my XP image, then installed win 7 and made an image of that as well and put both images on my external HD. That way I can go to either one until I decide if I want to dual boot.I might order a bigger internal HD. The current one is only 80GB.

Thanks everyone and sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll post a new one on friday when I have time on my hands. Since that's when I'll actually start getting W7 working and all.

Has any W7 users had any major glitches? Does it have IE8 Beta or IE7?

Im about to DL it.
Which Version should i go for with my Gaming Rig (In Sig)
the 32 or the 64?

If you haven't run a 64bit edition of Vista and have all the drivers onhand for that go with the 32bit edition since most 32bit drivers will easily install and run without problems.

Thanks everyone and sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll post a new one on friday when I have time on my hands. Since that's when I'll actually start getting W7 working and all.

Has any W7 users had any major glitches? Does it have IE8 Beta or IE7?

The few crashes seen so far was one while running a scan after first getting the present build of AVG 8.0 up and running which saw everything lock to a black screen and one game crashed just like it did in Vista from some type of Visual C++ error yet to be resolved.

I'll likely try that one in XP next being a 2007 release to see if the game disk is a defect. Other older games even going back to 98 have actually run better. Tv tuner card problems in Vista either seeing no picture or not able to record like they do in XP saw nothing but a grey wash in 7 for some reason. Those were the only bugs seen so far. IE 8 beta included in 7.

I suppose I could just order another HD and place win 7 on that. If that is the case, when booting up, what does it look like on the screen? Does it ask you which OS you want to boot into like it does on a dual boot? Or does it look like something else?

I've had a dual-booted computer. My dad set it up (had NT and Red Hat). Right after POST it shows up as a blue screen giving you 30 seconds to pick a OS. If you don't it will go to the top one.

What about if you have 2 internal HD with a different OS on each. Whats it look like then? Same as dual boot?

When you setup a dual boot with 7 it looks just like what someone posted in a video at YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foddy997LoI

The one thing not seen in the video clips there is the boot options menu for selecting XP or Vista displayed along with 7 since the installer will detect and automatically add any other Windows installation into it;s own boot loader unless you unplug the first host drive for a stand alone install of 7.

Then you would either the slow back and forth trip to change default boot drives or use the boot device menu option at post to select the drive that will load the OS installed it. That makes things simple when leaving the boot order set to hard drive and bringing that for seeing the install files copied over until the initial first restart.

Back
Top Bottom