Intel i7 920 overclock

metin

In Runtime
The 920 isn't locked. Are you sure you're not trying to overclock by using the multiplier instead of changing the bus speed (133). The multiplier is locked but the bus speed isn't.

Did he buy it pre-built?
I don't think he did, but would that make a difference?

hi can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to overclock the new intel 920 i7, including what cooling i should use. Please explain each term in great detail.( for example i dunno what memory multiplier is). This is my first build and my first overclock so please.
Thank you very much

The Core i7 920 is not locked. It has a wattage check though, I believe it is 130W. You're limited to whatever overclock will output 130W or less. Unfortunately I don't own one to toy with, so you'll have to wait for other members to chime in.

Has anyone actually hit that limit? I think I'd go insane if I couldn't get more out of my CPU because they don't want me to.

You're limited to whatever overclock will output 130W or less.
That sucks balls.

@ OP, it would be helpful if you could post some pics of your BIOS, it would make it easier for us to explain.

But you need to know the basics first. The CPU frequency is determined by the multiplier and bus speed (I can't call it the FSB, because it's not anymore), which I believe is 133x20. Since the 920 has a locked multiplier, you'd need to increase the bus speed (133) to overclock.

I don't actually own one of these things so I can't help you with much else ATM, although I'm pretty sure it's identical to Phenom in terms of memory etc. Posting some pics of your BIOS would help a lot.

thank u for quick and explanative reply i can't post a pic of my bios as i don't have the i7 yet but was thinking if i could overclock it. What cooling would i use?

With how hot i7's run, I'd stick a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme on there.

Back
Top Bottom