Major difference?

isnt the Phenoms II already out?
I saw them at my local Micro Center Today

Heres a couple of Newegg links
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103472
and for people that OC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

I didnt see the specs yet, but whats the difference between this and the regular Phenoms?

I have no idea, but platform changes aside and just strictly buying processors, the entry level i7s are about that same price as the Phenom IIs and if I had the choice I would get the entry level i7 because it beats the high end Phenom II in every benchmark available, sure it uses more way power at idle (~100w more), but surprisingly the Phenom II jumps past it under load (~10w more), also, the platform cost difference will shrink more and more as time goes by when X58 boards become cheaper (the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R is already under $200USD) and AMD makes it's own shift to DDR3 (this year?), bringing about <surprise, surprise> platform changes of it's own...

You pay more for a motherboard and RAM in the i7 department though. Phenom II is able to take DDRII and is close behind Intel in gaming. They also overclock quite well.

yeah, but i think the Phenom II will drop their prices pretty quick.

I think I might stick with AMD, yeah Intel did provide a huge performance jump, but ever since i switched to Intel, I only use my gaming computer for about 50 Hr on average in a month now as compared to using it most likely 24/7 with my old AMD build.
The only thing that changed was the Mobo, and CPU.

You pay more for a motherboard and RAM in the i7 department though. Phenom II is able to take DDRII and is close behind Intel in gaming. They also overclock quite well.

as do the i7s, but I'm talking about the change to DDR3 for AMD, which will need a new processor and new socket, that might be an even more expensive change than Intel's platform change when it happens, no...? by then the X58 and i7 prices should be lower and the new AMD cpus could be more expensive than the i7s and the new DDR3 AMD motherboards probably won't be cheap either...

yeah, but i think the Phenom II will drop their prices pretty quick.

I think I might stick with AMD, yeah Intel did provide a huge performance jump, but ever since i switched to Intel, I only use my gaming computer for about 50 Hr on average in a month now as compared to using it most likely 24/7 with my old AMD build.
The only thing that changed was the Mobo, and CPU.

if you do change back, I got dibs on your cpu...

:D

as do the i7s, but I'm talking about the change to DDR3 for AMD, which will need a new processor and new socket, that might be an even more expensive change than Intel's platform change when it happens, no...? by then the X58 and i7 prices should be lower and the new AMD cpus could be more expensive than the i7s and the new DDR3 AMD motherboards probably won't be cheap either...

AMD's new motherboards are only a month away though. Also, these aren't the only two Phenom II's that are gonna be released. I would imagine that they would come out with faster models later on, which would allow the current Phenom II's to become cheaper. I don't think AMD would allow their Phenom II's to be more expensive than a competing i7, considering they still don't perform as good

Just an idea, we can only see how it goes.

AMD's new motherboards are only a month away though. Also, these aren't the only two Phenom II's that are gonna be released. I would imagine that they would come out with faster models later on, which would allow the current Phenom II's to become cheaper. I don't think AMD would allow their Phenom II's to be more expensive than a competing i7, considering they still don't perform as good

Just an idea, we can only see how it goes.

that's the thing, those are the low end i7s smoking the Phenom IIs in everything except gaming, and those motherboards are gonna need new processors and new sockets if they're gonna support DDR3 since the memory controller is in the cpu, or am I wrong...?

that's the thing, those are the low end i7s smoking the Phenom IIs in everything except gaming, and those motherboards are gonna need new processors and new sockets if they're gonna support DDR3 since the memory controller is in the cpu, or am I wrong...?

no thats right, the AM3 socket/CPU are going to support the DDR3 Memory.
But AM3 CPU is backwards compatible with an AM2 socket, but not vice versa because of the memory controller since AM2 CPU doesnt support DDR3.
Which is pretty nice, because you can just buy the CPU now, and then buy a new Mobo, and Ram later on when you save up enough money instead of those three all at once.

no thats right, the AM3 socket/CPU are going to support the DDR3 Memory.
But AM3 CPU is backwards compatible with an AM2 socket, but not vice versa because of the memory controller since AM2 CPU doesnt support DDR3.
Which is pretty nice, because you can just buy the CPU now, and then buy a new Mobo, and Ram later on when you save up enough money instead of those three all at once.

that sounds intriguing, you should jump on that, I'll give you $70 shipped for your E7200...

;)

isnt the Phenoms II already out?
I saw them at my local Micro Center Today

Heres a couple of Newegg links
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103472
and for people that OC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

I didnt see the specs yet, but whats the difference between this and the regular Phenoms?

Yeah, they're already out, but there are more coming out soon, better and soon AMD will switch to DDR3. So once that switch is done and the MB's come out I'm buying a Phenom II ddr3 system.

Back
Top Bottom