Setting up a virtual server?

Black_Blade

Beta member
I have a D-Link DI-808HV router and see in the configuration that you are able to set up the router to act as a server for ftp etc.

I have put together some mp3 files as well as some avi files into various images that I wished to share with another family member. I wish to be able to allow them to download the cd or dvd image from my computer onto theirs and then they could burn the home videos etc onto a disc using their computers.

I couldn't really find the correct information by searching, whether that be because I am not typing the right phrases into the search or there isn't much info about this.

How to set up my router to allow a person to download from a computer on our home network?

Appreciate all help, and apologies if this is answered somewhere else on the site.

Virtual Server for you router is just port forwarding. You router isn't going to host your files for you. You need to host your files somewhere and share them from there.

If you aren't running any kind of server OS, then you will need to enable your computer to file/folder share and allow those people to do what it is you want them to do. One problem you may run into though is that you more than likely don't have a static IP address, so you will either need to try and get one (most ISP's don't sell them without a business plan) or set up something like dyndns.

Then if using an OS firewall (ie Windows Firewall) then you have to set that up to allow people to connect in. And also you will need to set up your virtual server/port forwarding to redirect the traffic to your computer from the outside.

Overall I think you are confused on what the Virtual Server feature on your router does. It does not act as a file server it just controls the traffic and points it to a file server/share.

and here is a link on how to set up the virtual server feature for your router.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-808HV/Settlers_4.htm

I used CrossFTP and it set up fine, got the port forwarding accomplished, I changed my local IP to a static IP in the process, so all that is well.

I think my problem now lies in some mistake in how I am sharing the folder on my pc...for when I type into a browser my address I connect...but its just a basically blank screen showing Index of ftp:// etc with no files etc showing.

It seems all connections are being made, but the five server is not able to share anything.

my.php

It looks like the directory is empty.

Make sure the files you want to share are in the directory being shared.

I haven't used CrossFTP so I am not sure how it sets everything up. Meaning I am not sure if you can choose a file to use or if it creates one and you have to move the wanted files into that directory.

So that brings up the question, do you know where it is looking for files?

I followed the tutorial at tinkernut in regards to setting up CrossFTP (he made it look like a snap of course), I have included the image of my setting screen which shows the root directory I have selected and have put an avi clip in that folder, so I know its not empty. The folder is shared on the network for what that is worth...not sure of any other sharing/security settings there are for your folder that is used for FTP.

my.php

Used CrossFTP Server and configured a static IP, port forwarded 21 to my machine, shared a folder in the server's setup. Now if I type the public address of my router, I then get the proper logon screen, I sign in, and can see all the files I should.

Problem is, only the machines on our LAN can do this...a computer from outside either times out or if it does connect and logs on...just gets a ftp screen with no files showing.

Kinda stumped now tho....:confused:

Back
Top Bottom