help please LOL

htfdwlfpack

Solid State Member
OK its really not funny but i finally found this message board and need some help.

Now im on a low budget so keep that im mind.

What im trying to do is reformat my hard drive,there is alot of stuff on here i dontneed and want to start"fresh" plus i think i have a virus that no one can figure out what it is not even my anti virus software.(games crash to desktop and the desktop seems to refresh it self multiple times)

So what i want to do is access my hard drive while the PC is booting up. how do i go about this? Also My keyboard doesn't seem to register any key strokes when its in a certain state.its a USB zboard if that makes any difference(gaming keyboard). So when my PC starts up id like to have it access the windows XP disk in my cdrom so i can reformat the hard drive. I need a step by step cause i dont want to mess anything up. Im pretty sure ive done it before but its been a while. Also if it makes any difference ive got an abit motherboard. I know some of them have different keystrokes to access stuff before it fully boots up.

The more i type this the confusing it seems, i hope someone can help me though. If any suggestions don't work ill be here to reply to them around 5PM est on sunday :)

So what i want to do is access my hard drive while the PC is booting up. how do i go about this? Also My keyboard doesn't seem to register any key strokes when its in a certain state.its a USB zboard if that makes any difference(gaming keyboard). So when my PC starts up id like to have it access the windows XP disk in my cdrom so i can reformat the hard drive. I need a step by step cause i dont want to mess anything up. Im pretty sure ive done it before but its been a while. Also if it makes any difference ive got an abit motherboard. I know some of them have different keystrokes to access stuff before it fully boots up.

I assume you mean you want to access your BIOS to change your Boot order. To do this you need to pay attention while your computer is booting up. Shortly after you turn it on, it should tell you below which key to hit to enter the BIOS. It is usually Del, F2, or F10. If you see the Windows startup screen you have missed it.

If your keyboard is not working boot into Windows.
Right click My Computer
Choose Properties
Go to Hardware Tab
Device Manager
Expand Keyboard
Right click on your keyboard
Go to Power Management tab
Check the box that says allow this device to wake the computer.

ok ty, i tried all that got to the point where you said to expand my keyboard, did that. Right clicked on the only keyboard that there(my keyboard)but it doesnt have a Power Management tab. When right clicking on the keyboard in the device manager setting it has these options:1.update driver 2. uninstall,3.scan for hardware changes 4. properties. When i go into properties which i figured would be my next course of action the options there are no options for power management.

So anything else i can try?

ok ty, i tried all that got to the point where you said to expand my keyboard, did that. Right clicked on the only keyboard that there(my keyboard)but it doesnt have a Power Management tab. When right clicking on the keyboard in the device manager setting it has these options:1.update driver 2. uninstall,3.scan for hardware changes 4. properties. When i go into properties which i figured would be my next course of action the options there are no options for power management.

So anything else i can try?

Sorry I missed a step. When you right click on your keyboard select Properties. Then you should see the Power Management tab.

Ok i mentioned i had done that, no power management

I wish i knew how to take a screen shot for you so you could see what im looking at also lol

Ok i mentioned i had done that, no power management

I wish i knew how to take a screen shot for you so you could see what im looking at also lol

Did you go into the properties? Because the options you listed off were the step before going into the properties of the keyboard.

To take a screenshot:

Hold Alt +Prt Scr to take a screenshot of the active window.
or
Just hit Prt Scr to take a screenshot of everything.

Then open up MS Word and go to edit and select paste.

OK its really not funny but i finally found this message board and need some help.

Now im on a low budget so keep that im mind.

What im trying to do is reformat my hard drive,there is alot of stuff on here i dontneed and want to start"fresh" plus i think i have a virus that no one can figure out what it is not even my anti virus software.(games crash to desktop and the desktop seems to refresh it self multiple times)

The more i type this the confusing it seems, i hope someone can help me though. If any suggestions don't work ill be here to reply to them around 5PM est on sunday :)

what game are you playing and what kind of video card do you have...? it could be crashing because your video card can't handle the game or is overheating...

also, you won't be able to "access" your hard drive before it boots up, you'll be able to see that it's detected in the bios, but that's about it, you won't be able to run any programs...

ok dont have MS word,but i use something called openoffice. I tried saving the fie of the screen shot but cant upload it to any sites that i know of.

This is frustrating im thankful for all your help

what game are you playing and what kind of video card do you have...? it could be crashing because your video card can't handle the game or is overheating...

also, you won't be able to "access" your hard drive before it boots up, you'll be able to see that it's detected in the bios, but that's about it, you won't be able to run any programs...

Games are lord of the rings online and WARHAMMER online. My video card is a EVGA e-geforce 8600GTS 512MB DDR3 PCI-E.

Another reason i dont think its the video card, is when i go into Control panel it get a flashlight up like its looking for something for about 20 seconds. But this is just a guess by me

Back
Top Bottom