Help me choose a video card(stream processors)

I guess you could say 8800GT>>9800GT if you overclock it, which is what the 8800GT is meant for.
See, it's just as silly if you switch the cards around. There really is no difference between the 8800GT and the 9800GT. The 9800GT is essentially a rebadged 8800GT. The performance is identical between the two.

See, it's just as silly if you switch the cards around. There really is no difference between the 8800GT and the 9800GT. The 9800GT is essentially a rebadged 8800GT. The performance is identical between the two.
My thoughts exactly.

There's talk about renaming them GT1xx now.

If your buying a video card based on Stream Processors then you need to know a few things.

ATI - ATI has it's Core speed and Stream Processor speed in a 1 to 1 ratio so what ever the core speed is on a ATI card, that is the speed for it's Stream Processors.

Nvidia - Nvidia has it's Stream Processors often sped up by around twice the speed of the core. Even though the core is running slower that the Stream Processors, it does not bottle neck(Forgot the reason why).

So, if you have a ATI GPU, you are going to have a LOT more Stream Processors than a Nvidia GPU. The 4870 or RV770 has 800 stream processor units at a speed of 750Mhz with very fast memory. The GTX 280 has 252 stream processor units(Somewhere around that) at a speed around 1,200Mhz-1,300Mhz with DDR3 memory which is fast but not as fast as the 4870 DDR5.

Now, enough about comparing the cards you are not buying. The 9800GT has nearly double the amount of SP's and I can tell you know that they are quite faster. Then again, your not considering ATI, but I did want to share.

Back
Top Bottom