Inno3D 8600GTS Alarm Temperature

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey guys.
Though without any money, I've been collecting fans and the like (well, two) to try and better cool my PC, because my video card, an Inno3D 8600GTS, likes to ring an alarm when it reaches 70 degrees on warmer or more humid days. The card never seems to go above 70 for long - the alarm might only beep for 1 second every now and then.

I don't have a problem with my video card performing at 70-75 degrees, I just have a problem with the annoying alarm. Is there any way I can make it go off at 80 or 90 degrees celsius instead of 70?

Thanks!
Rhys

Alarm?

If this is one of those temperature alarms that you can buy for your computer that sits in the drive bays...

Then just disconnect it.

Err no, it's an alarm on the GPU itself.
Just like you can set an alarm temperature for your CPU and System in your BIOS, the video card has its own alarm temperature.

-Rhys

It's just looking at the temp probe in the card. It's software driven. Try right clicking on the desktop and selecting the Nvidia setup. Should be in there. If not it's most likely an icon in the tray. If so right click it and see if it has a setup tab.

@setishock
No options in the NVIDIA Control Panel relating to the video card itself, only resolutions and 3D Settings and such.

The alarm is an internal sound - it's playing on the video card itself. Though I must point out I'm not 100% sure it is the video card, it's just that nothing else is getting hot (CPU running at a steady 45 degrees, warning temp at 80) and it happens most often when running a game.

-Rhys

Have a look in the BIOS to see if a fan speed sensor is going off. You may have a fan running too slow or the low speed threshold is set too high.

@Atomic Rooster
Interesting thought. My CPU fan has a 'smart fan' sort of function, but it also has a dial at the front of the PC where I can control it. So next time it sets off its alarm, maybe I can see if turning it down does anything (or up?). It's a bit tedious going into the BIOS to see if anything is happening there, because the alarm only really goes off when playing games.

Thanks!
-Rhys

You'll only need to check the BIOS once. Just have a look at the settings. Then you can decide either to disable them or just raise the alarm threshold.

Ah right.
The CPU alarm threshold is at 80 degrees, and the CPU's only get up to 65 max. However looking at PC Wizard, it looks like it may be the MAINBOARD that's overheating, not the GPU. It was hanging around 77 degrees while I was playing Assassin's Creed - after I got some fans going last night the GPU was at a steady 68.

How the crap can I cool the mainboard?? Or is 77 okay if it's under stress, and I should just change the alarm threshold?

-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom