Hardware upgrade

axegrinder

Solid State Member
Looking for advice:
I have an older machine that has, and still does, serve me well! But it is that time, if it was not for two areas I would not even consider upgrading at this time. The current machine is basically XP pro, Athlon processor, 266 FSB, motherboard only supports ATA100. I do have 3 hard drives broken up into a few partitions per drive but basically but for performance reasons I have the OS on one drive the other two drives both have a 5gig partition a piece that I use to spread out the page file. You might be surprised how fast the machine is! But the two areas where it is showing its weakness, Is a multi-track audio program (SONAR 6), with this I have the program write out its wave files to one of the other hard drives, which really helps performance. The other area is gaming I'm not really a big gamer but I do like my Half Life! OK you pretty much know where I stand.

So going for new hardware. Since the hardware has come such a long way from my current system is there still any reason to break up the page file across multi drives?
I'm not sold on Vista as an upgrade, the reason for my upgrade is (hardware performance). Not crazy about installing an OS which is pretty hungry. I kind of look at it as robbing my hardware upgrade. But Vista is more up to date Direct X 10 and so on. Have thought about duel booting but not all that crazy about it. Was thinking about using the second OS for SONAR 6 and maybe gaming? Any thoughs ?????

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom