Computer build for an old codger

a new case doesn't need to have the things you listed and newer cases are better designed for airflow, unless of course you don't think airflow and temps are important...

I have put some newer builds in older cases and had no problems with cooling. If he would have mentioned overclocking I would have to agree though, he would definitly benefit from a newer case.

Worst case senerio is that he builds his computer with the old case to find out that his cooling is inadequate, and then he orders a new case. I'm just trying to keep him from spending money that he doesn't have to.

Him is most appreciative of your advice. I will seek out a decent case. As far as memory goes I'm afraid I can only tell you what i have already done. I don't have any more info. As to overclocking - it was just a question, but thanks for your reply. I got the information Principle Computers in Hobart - they appear to know there ram from their rom. I think the new case idea is good as I don't want to have buy another new case down the track - where ever that is.

Attached are a couple of pics of my currnet box, is this ATX??

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Thanks once again.

Hard to tell from the pics but I don't think it is, the board looks "small" and I don't see any mounting holes lower down for a full ATX board, what is the full case brand and name? Also what is the board in there?

Mate, you need to invest in a can of air duster or a compressor, that's some serious dust buildup in there, lol.

:D

OBOY!! I'd love to build a PC. Trouble is: I'm a PC DUMMY of the worst kind. I know that if I attempted to build a PC by myself:
1) I'd learn a helluva lot about computers, and
2) it would never work. :(

However, this set my mind into second gear: wouldn't it be great if there was some sort of class where you can go and sit at a bench with all the stuff you need to build a PC, (which you buy after getting the best advice/direction/list from a supervisor), and then sit there and build a PC under the expert eagle eyes of a guy who knows all the "don't do not do's", plug the thing up, install all the software, sort out why the damn thing can't connect to the internet, the keyboard doesn't work and why there is no sound, and then Voila!! everything works.

I know about the dust - it's clean compared. The board that's in there is a GA 81G1000MK Rev 1. There are couple of mounting holes lower down the case below the board. They are hidden by the ribbon. Wouldn't have a clue as who made the case. It's approx 3 - 4 yeras old.

There are couple of mounting holes lower down the case below the board. They are hidden by the ribbon.
OK, that'd make it ATX then, An ATX board is 305mm × 244mm, (see the panel on the right in the Wiki page i linked below) so the holes will measure slightly inside those dimensions

WIKI

That is definitely an ATX mid-tower case. That would be fine for his new build. One thing I would suggest though is putting a fan in the bottom front of the case to draw in cool air and give a positive flow through the case.

Thanks guys that has saved me a few dollars. I'll certianly look at putting a fan in the from of the case, there is a grid for one.

Thanks a lot again, more when I get the bit and put them together. Wait for the puff of blue smoke and the electrical death smell!!

Back
Top Bottom