WTH video card dead after an hour of low-level overclocking?!?!

gdewald1

Baseband Member
OK, so I bought an ATI HD4850 1Gb card and(of course) started to OC it. It went like this(core clock/memory clock, stock is 665/950, tested the stability for 15 minutes every step in cs:s): 680/950, 700/950, 720/960, 750/960 -- glitch, lowered it to 748/960 worked fine then 749/960 -->crash-->computer turn's on, blank screen, all fans on, GPU seems to "work"(it warms up)...
So ppl did my card really burn out?! I mean the card even shows great signs of life (exept showing a picture =D ). Is there a chance that there is a different problem, I mean it is a new card and it is supposed to just turn off if it overheats...
I tried my other card and it worked so I didnt burn my mobo or anything else...

I dont wanna wait 3 days to return it :*(

PS the fan on the gpu was turned to 100%

OK, so I bought an ATI HD4850 1Gb card and(of course) started to OC it. It went like this(core clock/memory clock, stock is 665/950, tested the stability for 15 minutes every step in cs:s): 680/950, 700/950, 720/960, 750/960 -- glitch, lowered it to 748/960 worked fine then 749/960 -->crash-->computer turn's on, blank screen, all fans on, GPU seems to "work"(it warms up)...
So ppl did my card really burn out?! I mean the card even shows great signs of life (exept showing a picture =D ). Is there a chance that there is a different problem, I mean it is a new card and it is supposed to just turn off if it overheats...
I tried my other card and it worked so I didnt burn my mobo or anything else...

I dont wanna wait 3 days to return it :*(

PS the fan on the gpu was turned to 100%

why "of course"...? the risks far outweigh the gains (a handful of FPS if lucky) when OCing a gpu, OCing a cpu is way different and and actually can be very useful, a gpu...? not so much...

I've resetted my BIOS, but it probably isn't it, because I OC'd through Riva tuner, I'll try to turn the pc on without the dvd-rw and HDD and see if the power supply is enough(500W OCZ stealthXstream)

your power supply shouldn't be the problem...

idk maybe take out the video card, then put it back in and replug all the stuff?

just a thought..and im getting the hd 4850 so i know now not to oc it.

Back
Top Bottom