PC airflow help

gdewald1

Baseband Member
I upgraded my pc a couple of times and now I am not sure if the airflow is right in it, could someone tell me if there is anything I can do improve the air circulation, I would be very thankful.

Here are the insides: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/gdewald/P1020041.jpg
My comments:
(numbers on the photo=numbers here)
1. My PSU's fan blows air inside
2./3. The cpu fan/heatsink blows the air(probably warm by now) straight into my video card(probably not so good)
4. This fan blows the air outside(which probably interferes with #1. and #2./3.)
5. My video card(not installed yet) has a fan inside a heatsink which pretty much blows air into the heatsink spreading it around parallel to the card.
6. I have no idea if these holes are bad or good for the airflow, should I close them?
7. My HDD, no fan
8. My dvd-rw, also no fan
PS. Should I do anything about the bundle of cords?
PSS. this is the outer case door(no fans just holes): http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/gdewald/P1020043.jpg

-Gdewald-

by "overheat less" do you mean that it's overheating once in a while...? are you sure the heatsink's fan isn't supposed to point toward the rear case fan...? I would start by rotating the cpu heatsink and fan 90° so that the fan is pointing towards the rear case fan, that may solve your overheating problem...

It's not really overheating, I meant to say ummm... have better air circulation(Ill edit it)
Is there anything else I can do?

See if you can flip 2/3 90* to the left, making the air flow OUT of your case instead of onto the video card. It doesn't seem like you have much room, but its worth a try.

Also, you can purchase PCI slot fans that will basically suck out air toward the back of your case.

Hmm, this post makes me think. I'm going to try this tomorrow. I'm going to temp the differences between psu in/out and pci covers on/off. I would turn the heatsink to see if it makes a difference, but my hsf is on top. I will post back and tell how it went.

PSUs always act as exhausts, it's blowing air out. Your CPU fan should be blowing the hot air towards the rear case fan, so the air can be immediately exhausted. And you have two exhausts and no intake so air is going to try and get in wherever it can because of the negative pressure, which means it's going to come in through those PCI slots at the back, this will just disrupt airflow. Install an intake fan in the front and cover up those slots.

gweald -- i have the same exact power supply as you. see that strap thing? put it to good use and get as many cords as you can that youre not using and tie them together..then shove them in one of your cd-rom holders if theres empty slots...

and yeah feel the outside of the case where the psu is...you'll feel air coming out.

I have to say...

I've never known the PSU to exhaust through the bottom? The two PSU's I have exhaust air at the rear, where the mains plug is connetced, and suck in thorugh the bottom. And after checking their website and looking carefully at their PSU fan blades those fans are supposed to suck air into the PSU and expell it through the mesh at the rear.

So check that out first.

Also, as mentioned already, see if you can rotate the CPU heatsink 90 degrees clockwise.

And fit a fan on the front of the case underneath the Hard Drive caddy.

OK, so basically I'll rotate the CPU fan/hatsink and I guess I was wrong about my PSU. I still am wondering about the PCI slot holes though...
As soon as I get a fan I'll place it by the HDD and I'll bundle up the cords together

That case is like one I have. The top side opening is for a snorkle that would lead over to the cpu fan/heatsink. Since you have a tower type heatsink this hole is no longer needed. Mask it off. The bottom side opening is oddly shape and might be a problem getting a fan mounted on it. You could park a fan to one side of the opening and mask off what is not covered by the fan. That one would blow in to the side of the case by the way.

As for the rest I'm going to risk getting fussed at for putting up links to my place, but they show tips and tricks to getting cases cooled down. Granted I did those a while back but they still have good info in them. There's some math in the one where I got my hands on a full server case and modded it. Around post 20 or 22 I think it is.
Bottom line is you have to stop and think before you just go slapping a case together. http://www.computervitals.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/computer-mods-tech-20.html The ones I did are the ones that are stickied.

Back
Top Bottom