Xp Pro Help

Don_H

Solid State Member
Well i have this computer sitting next to me that is just full of viruses! But more seriously i bought a Windows XP Home Install Disk and when i put it in the computer on the startup i get the menu that asks what drive to boot from. I click on the drive with the CD in it and all i get is a Black screen with one little blinking line! please help! PLEASE!

heres system info!

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) HP Pavilion 061 D7222T-ABA A350E 0p{1211RE101FOCUS10
System Serial Number: MXP34800LY NA300
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.07 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X-LA 1.xx
Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3.12 08/31/2004
Drives Memory Modules c,d
80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
24.53 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

IDE-DVD ROM 16x [CD-ROM drive]
SONY CD-RW CRX215E5 [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
USB Flash Memory USB Device [Hard drive] (2.02 GB) -- drive 5
WDC WD800BB-22DKA0 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAHL4124071, rev 77.07W77, SMART Status: Healthy 256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

You have two optical drives, are you sure you're selecting the correct drive to boot from? Try booting the CD in both drives.

when the computer is booting up, hit the f8 button to take you into the bios settings (it could be the delete key or another which will be put on the screen during boot up), then go to the boot priority section and select your cd drive as the 1st boot option.
see what happens when you boot up next time.

You have two optical drives, are you sure you're selecting the correct drive to boot from? Try booting the CD in both drives.

when the computer is booting up, hit the f8 button to take you into the bios settings (it could be the delete key or another which will be put on the screen during boot up), then go to the boot priority section and select your cd drive as the 1st boot option.
see what happens when you boot up next time.

Atomic the dvd drive wont open! its jammed so no wont run through that.

wozelbeak- it is set to the highest priority. read all about that! haha also for this computer it goes to a list with all the drives that are bootable and i select the one with the cd in it i.e. the cd-rom drive after that just the blank black screen with one blinking line!

can you type anything where the blinking line is?

nope! really frustrating! i ran a virus scan and the program AVAST! came up with a rootkit. would that affect this. i dont think it would. i know this computer is just full of viruses thats for shure!

is the windows disk a genuine product?
doubt if the rootkit is affecting anything.
had the computer been running linux previuosly? it could need the hdd fdisk and formating before the install takes place.

is the windows disk a genuine product?
doubt if the rootkit is affecting anything.
had the computer been running linux previuosly? it could need the hdd fdisk and formating before the install takes place.

I know the XP Pro that is installed is definitely not! since everytime i start the computer up a prompt tells me that it is not genuine. oh yeah and just noticed when i boot up the computer it now recognizes the cd since after the first boot logging thing is done it goes straight to the blank screen. and man thx for the help! every other forum was dead!

can you hook the hdd into another pc and fdisk it from there?

i tried loading the disk into another computer and it worked. recognized the cd everything. Unfortunately i cant! this is really weird i have never had a problem like this before!

Back
Top Bottom