Computer build for an old codger

Dos 6.1

Solid State Member
G'day you blokes,

As you will probably realise by my username I have been around a long time and have been playing with PC's since Noha was a boy. However, I have never built one myself prefering to by "off the shelf". Now is the time for me to make an attempt and build my own pc. I will list the specs I am thinking of and would really welcome views from you younger guys who will know ultimately tonnes more than me.

So, here we go:

Mother board: Gigabyte GA EP45 DS4P
CPU:Core 2 Quad Q6600
Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700LED
Ram: 2GB 800 X 2, maybe + 2
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB
Graphics: ATI HD4850
PSU: Corsair HX 520W
Vista premium 64 bit
Logitech Z2300 speakers
24" monitor HD, etc - recmomned manufactuer please.

Use original case, all the new stuff should fit.

Disc drives from current machine until Blue Ray.

All up about 2,500 AUD ish.

Well, what do you blokes reckon, has the old boy got it right or is there better value for money??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

What site are you buying from? What will you be doing with this computer?

good questions and what is the case...? if it's an older one it may not have good enough airflow, there are some good cheap cases out there that would do that system some justice...

I found a site that I think is Australian...expresspcparts.com.au

to start off, here's a combo deal that seems really good, I don't know much about AMD so others feel free to chime in on the quality of this combo, this deal would take care of your motherboard, cpu and memory and if you don't do anything video intensive (gaming, video rendering, etc.) your graphics also with the onboard HDMI support...AMD AM2+ Phenom X3 TRIPLECORE 8650 CPU 2.3Ghz, 4GB PC-6400 DDR2, and an ASROCK A780FullHD Motherboard with Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD3200 DX10® Graphics with VGA ,DVI dual-output (supports HDMI) and 5.1 CH audio - $359.95 (new)

you could easily fit the rest of the parts you need into your budget with room to include a decent case...

You don't want your hardware to be cramped or to be cooked in your case. If it's not an enthusiast case, get rid of it right now. You can't put a powerful build in a Dell case, you know? I don't know how much AUD is in USD, but 2,500 sounds like a lot. You might as well go with an i7 build.

Edit:

So, 2,500 AUD equals roughly $1806. You're definitely going with an i7 build that will destroy whatever you just posted.

You don't want your hardware to be cramped or to be cooked in your case. If it's not an enthusiast case, get rid of it right now. You can't put a powerful build in a Dell case, you know? I don't know how much AUD is in USD, but 2,500 sounds like a lot. You might as well go with an i7 build.

Edit:

So, 2,500 AUD equals roughly $1806. You're definitely going with an i7 build that will destroy whatever you just posted.

he's admittedly an old codger and he still hasn't told us what he's using the computer for, I doubt he is gonna need all that power especially if he's just checking email and web surfing, he could build something a lot more reasonable and save the rest of the $$...

An old codger I am but I want something "sweet", somthing to run a game or two when it takes my fancy - used to woman, somthing to run good quality video and of course music. It has to upgradable and I know i7's are about but still expensive, here at least.

Thanks for your views thus far. Much appreciated.

I'm off to change oil in my zimmer.

Edit:

I would disagree, I see nothing wrong with putting a nice computer in an old case. As long as it is atx and it can fit your video card (4850 might be a little bit on the big side) I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe I just hate blue leds, chrome, and plexiglass though. :D

I would disagree, I see nothing wrong with putting a nice computer in an old case. As long as it is atx and it can fit your video card (4850 might be a little bit on the big side) I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe I just hate blue leds, chrome, and plexiglass though. :D

a new case doesn't need to have the things you listed and newer cases are better designed for airflow, unless of course you don't think airflow and temps are important...

If your not overclocking, you could just stick with the stock cooler and save some $$.

Also with that build im pretty sure that you need DDR2 ram.

Back
Top Bottom