Fudge! Mobo won't post

If you were able to post you would be able to run memtest to see if that reported faults. But with the prices on memory having fallen sharply over the last several months you should be able to grab a good pair of Kingston DDR2 800 2gb dimms for a good price.

For Gigabyte boards that's one of the brands recommended by the manufacturer. In fact the same 4gb kit ordered here lately dropped another $10 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104043

Well, I took out my gpu, swapped the ram, and I'm almost certain that my mobo is absolutely abysmally trashed....What's the standard protocol for this...RMA? My motherboard is discontinued, so what will they send me as a replacement part?

Well, I took out my gpu, swapped the ram, and I'm almost certain that my mobo is absolutely abysmally trashed....What's the standard protocol for this...RMA? My motherboard is discontinued, so what will they send me as a replacement part?

Most probably a refund or credit for another motherboard.

if you took out the gpu, did you enable the onboard video...? I would at least try to boot with the gpu in with your friend's memory, you never know, maybe the onboard video is fubar but if you run a PCI-E card then that wouldn't matter...

If you just bought the board lately the vendor should readily credit or apply that to another hopefully newer board. But you would need to rma it right away before the time limit runs out on you.

If you were able to post you would be able to run memtest to see if that reported faults. But with the prices on memory having fallen sharply over the last several months you should be able to grab a good pair of Kingston DDR2 800 2gb dimms for a good price.

For Gigabyte boards that's one of the brands recommended by the manufacturer. In fact the same 4gb kit ordered here lately dropped another $10 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104043

or you could get these CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) practically free after MIR ($9.99), 2GBs will be fine for XP Pro...

yeah, no need for 4GB in XP unless your me. :eek: You can trust Crucial but just not certain types of theirs. I have been using my Crucial RAM for 2+ years with no problems.

Crucial along with Corsair, Kingston, OCZ are all top name brands there. The problem may have been setting the voltage too high. Were you trying to oc the memory at all?

As far as the amount of memory 2-3gb is all you should ever need for XP unless working with something like cad development softwares. I ran Vista since it was out with just 2gb installed.

Crucial along with Corsair, Kingston, OCZ are all top name brands there. The problem may have been setting the voltage too high. Were you trying to oc the memory at all?

As far as the amount of memory 2-3gb is all you should ever need for XP unless working with something like cad development softwares. I ran Vista since it was out with just 2gb installed.

those crucial ballistix that he has may be the ones that have a high failure rate...

here's a thread about them on another forum...

[H]ard|forum

they switched the chip manufacturer but a lot of bad modules are still floating around out there...

That's a shame since they always had a good rep like Corsair for gaming memory. But if you got into that stuff...:( it's kind of a hard luck story.

Back
Top Bottom