triple channel cpu

TheAdmira1

Baseband Member
this might be a really stupid question, so feel free to flame the shit out of me for this one... I' m kind of expecting it...

Can you run a triple channel CPU with a single 2gb stick of ram? I'm asking because I bought 2 dual channel kits of ram when I ordered my rig and newegg wont take it back... my dad has 2 Dominator 6gb kits on his comp so he has been letting me use 1... I cant afford to buy the whole kit sooo can I buy a single stick until I can buy the rest? or is that retarded?

You could but performance would be in the gutter.

What are you going to do with the two dual channel kits?

Why not just use three out of the four sticks?

If you're going to sell the two dual channel kits then yes a single stick will get you by until you sell them and purchase a triple channel kit.

can i use just three of the four of the dual channel sticks on a asus rampage II extreme x58? cuz then id probably cream myself...

nevermind im a dumbass... thanks though...

LOL! Yes, you can use three of the four and run in triple channel. The ONLY real difference between "dual channel" memory and "triple channel" memory kits is that a dual kit has 2 modules, and triple kit has three. :D

There "may" be slight differences in the modules sub timings if they are not the same batch number/week of manufacture but that would have minimal impact and could be fine tuned in the bios memory options configuration page.

Basically dual/triple channel kits guarantee that the modules are the same batch number/week of manufacture to remove any possibility of differences in sub timings.

oooo nice... well im on it right now with 3 of the 4 sticks running... and its stupid fast... cannot complain what so ever!!! thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom