Hd 4850

MNI-SmellyCakes

In Runtime
Has anyone had any experiences with this card? Is it worth the money? I found the one I want for 155 on newegg.

Also, how bad will my CPU and RAM be bottlenecking this card?

AMD 64 x2 4000+ 2.11GHz
2GB of 667MHz Ram
250GB HDD
500W psu
Vista Home Basic 32-bit

I'm using one right now
It stays pretty cool even when stressed, 41 degrees idle but I always keep my fans at 100%.
It runs anything I have, Assassin's Creed, Halo 2, Call of Duty 4 all on max settings. Never seen it lag on anything, as for your bottle-necking, I have no idea.

Its the best card IMO because idk much about the 4870 but I don't think the price jump to the 4870 was worth it..for me at least.

I think your CPU will bottleneck it a bit.
It also depends on what resolution you play at.

@metin

Lol, for me I just wanted a top of the line card for once because I had a 7600GT before this.

@OP

That system may bottle neck the card though. Metin here has a E8500 @ 3.16Ghz which is a big difference from your X2 4000 @ 2.11Ghz.
The RAM is alright, but for gaming, most systems have at least DDR2 800. I'm sure the RAM will be fine somewhat.

What resolution are you going to be playing at?

For me, little old lucky me, I need to get a new motherboard for Crossfire to Crossfire a pair of 4870's to game at my resolution of 1920X1080. If your playing at 1280X1024 that 4850 should be fine with that system.

Oh I completely forgot about resolutions, what size of monitor do you want to use?

Ok, glad to hear it.

Edit:

Glad to hear this card competes with these: 8800 GTX, 8800 Ultra, 9800 GTX, 9800 GTX+

i wouldnt trust Tom's Hardware much.
I prefer other sites like anandtech.

i wouldnt trust Tom's Hardware much.
I prefer other sites like anandtech.
+1 true.
It's the little things like not using the latest drivers for their reviews.

@ OP, your CPU would bottleneck at that res, but you could fix that with a bit of overclocking.
As for the HD 4850, it's an awesome card, hasn't failed me yet at 1920x1600. And don't let anyone tell you the stock cooler is crap, the fan is just set at a very low speed at stock, which is fine if you're not overclocking, you just need to turn it up slightly, it'll still be inaudible.

Back
Top Bottom