A Q about memoryy cards...

Plaid.exe

Baseband Member
Hey,
I'm new and I got a question about memory cards.
I had an old Gateway... I never knew what model it was... it was back in '98. anyway, I pulled the memory card.
I was told that it could be detrimental to install the wrong card into my PC.
Anyway, all rambling aside.
Is there any way I can tell what kind of card it is by looking at it?
All it says on the label is: 84MB, SYNCH, 133MHz, CL3.
And the chips just say: TG - 75 B.
I'm pretty sure they'll fit. I'm Not sure witch PC I want to put them in yet.
Either a Presario, or a Pavilion...
The Presario has a Amberine RS-428 SB400 Moutherboard if it helps... Don't know about the Pavilion...
Any input would be appreciated.

LMAO, i thought he might be talking about a card reader.
plaid, you are better off gatting a close match to what you already have in the machine. Ram is not overly expensive, so if you think your existing machines don't have enough RAM buy some which is a very close match to what you already have installed.

LMAO, i thought he might be talking about a card reader.
plaid, you are better off gatting a close match to what you already have in the machine. Ram is not overly expensive, so if you think your existing machines don't have enough RAM buy some which is a very close match to what you already have installed.

He doesn't know what he needs.

Wait..let me get this straight.

You had an ancient '98 Gateway with *cough* 84MBs of RAM @ 133mhz and you want the memory into a newer computer?

Don't.

I guarantee you that the RAM in that old computer is drastically slower than whatever you have now, and with RAM, your computer will run all the RAM at the slowest speed RAM you have in the Machine. Say your other computers have RAM @ 333mhz. If you installed the 133mhz RAM, all of your RAM would run at 133mhz. You will only cause your computer to run slower.

Also...as you failed to mention how old your other computers are, they could well be running DDR2 and not DDR and DDR2 isn't backwards compatible (there's a notch in the RAM so you don't accidentally install DDR RAM in a DDR2 motherboard anyway).

Even if both of the motherboards do run DDR, you will only be hurting your computer's performance.

OK, my bad.
I should have added more info.
I downloaded that Everst program mentioned in the Noobie section.
It says my Compaq has Two DDR SD RAM cards. But I don't understand what speed they are... It lists three "Memory Timings". One at 200MHz, one at 166MHz, and one at 133MHz. The descriptions are identical. (aside form there serial #'s of course.)
The Pavilion is pretty archaic, it's a 6500 series, Running Windows '98.
I'm probably asking a bit much from them, but digress.
Any way, I'm cheep, and just trying to get a little more out of the old Gateway other than it serving as a stand for the Compaq.
But thanks for the heads up Awoen.

Your computers are quite old. Not too many places sell parts that old anymore. You can build a very reliable computer for a low price.

Back
Top Bottom