I need to make my 4870s smaller.

aowen416

Daemon Poster
Here's the situation:

p8130967ln3.jpg

I want to get a dedicated audio card, however I don't have any free PCI slots as my 4870 covers the free PCI slot. I need to get an after-market single-slot heat sink that's as small as possible such that I can fit a DAC in beneath the bottom card...anyone have suggestions? Unless I get a PCI Express x1 audio card which I can plug in where my onboard card is (for some reason they made it external....). Thing is, there are relatively few PCI Express x1 audio cards...if you guys know any good ones, please tell me about them...otherwise I'll get just a smaller heat sink. I was considering a USB card...but I'd much rather have it be internal.

I'm trying to do the same thing but with 2 GTX 260's. All I need is a more powerful power supply and another GTX 260 haha. :D

Do you absolutely need an extra 4870?

Nice setup btw :]

Yes ;_;

Otherwise I don't get to experience Crysis in all it's 1920x1200 glory :D

I'm trying to do the same thing but with 2 GTX 260's. All I need is a more powerful power supply and another GTX 260 haha. :D

...your computer is going to sound more and more like a jet.

I cranked my 4870s both to 100% fan speed...and it sounds just like a jet...it's ridiculously loud.

...Anyway...back to audio!

My 260 stays at 60% at all times. It's not even audible. The loudest fan in my case is coming from my power supply. It's dead quite when I use my other power supply. Can you post a link from newegg for your motherboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010290057 1102631935&name=PCI Express

I saw that list of audio cards...I asked about them on a hi-fi forum. There's just a lot more PCI cards...so I'll wait and see if they have anything good to say about them....I may need to make room for a PCI card simply due to the limited selection of PCI Expressx1 cards.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131284&Tpk=rampage formula

What about getting an amazing headset? :p

I just purchased Sennhesier HD595s. However, audio is only as good as it's weakest link, so that's why I want to get a better audio card...as I just got better headphones.

If you have the funds, I guess you can liquid cool your 4870s, that might creat enough space...

Back
Top Bottom