CPU/GPU overheating

droo09

Baseband Member
Hey, I'm sure this topic has been discussed profusely, but I am getting a bit concerned with my temperature readings. I am running a Q8200 CPU and sometimes a core will spike up to 70C, and my GPU hits the 65C range. I have read some stuff online saying that 70C and below is ok for CPU (GPU im not sure of), but it seems like it is still pushing it with these kind of temps. Any suggestions on how to lower my temps??

actually, its the GPU that can withstand more heat, they can go up to about 100+c or so depending on the card.
Its okay for the CPU to go up to 70c but only if its under heavy load, if not, thats high. I recommend keeping the CPU to at least near 60c when under load.

or it could be a defective temp reading.
What are you using, and what are your CPU temp at Idle, regular, and under Load?

Quads should run a bit hotter because of the 4 cores, if you are really concern, maybe check if the Heatsink is loose or not, check the Thermal Paste, or get an new Heatsink and Fan.

gpu is fine at 65c or so. is that under a full load? cpu is pushing it a little bit, but not much.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money (40 bucks) you could try cleaning and reseating your Heat Sink you have now which is probably stock. Just get some of this thermal compound, take off your CPU heat sink, clean off the old thermal compound with a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol (Coffee filter's have no lint in them) and then apply this stuff:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020
onto the CPU with a nice dab and reattach the heatsink.

Thank u for your posts everyone. I guess I have nothing to worry about with the GPU, but my CPU is getting toasty from what you all say. my idle readings are (just gonna average 4 core numbers): 45C, and not sure what the difference between regular and load temp is, but when I am playing Crysis, 3 cores are around 55-60, while 1 core is spiking to 65-70. I just ordered OCZ vendetta 2 and some OCZ freeze thermal compound. I suppose this will help out my overheating problem alot.

regular is more like browsing the net, emails, music, videos.
Load is more like all those combined, or doing something CPU intensive.

Check to see if some spyware or viruses are hogging your CPU because that's a bit much

If it's clean then get an after market cooler because that kind of constant heat will kill the life of your CPU

that xigmatek keeps my CPU at 27degrees idle.
amazing
but get the retention bracket too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019

Seconded. Get the Xigamatek, slash on some Arctic Silver 5, and you're set. It's one of the best heat sinks on the market. You don't HAVE to get the retention bracket, but the thing does weigh quite a bit...and some people are afraid it will break their motherboard without the extra support. I guess it also creates a better connection between the heatsink and the CPU due to the increase pressure...

Back
Top Bottom