Windows XP Service Pack???

vaziri07

Baseband Member
Hi, I just had to completely reset my computer, and I finally managed (after trying to find a volume license product key to install Win XP) to get my computer somewhat back to normal (quality and speed-wise, but it has NOTHING on it right now). I tried to install AVG Free, and Windows Live Messenger, but I found out that I now only have Service Pack 1, and apparantly I should update to Service Pack 3. When I tried to do this, after downloading the update for sp3, when I try to install it with the setup, it gave me a message saying

"Service Pack 3 Setup cannot update a checked (debug) system with a free (retail) version of Service Pack 3, or vice versa."

which is strange because AVG and MSN worked for me before, and I am pretty sure I already HAD SP3 before I reset my computer...
any idea how I can get my computer FULLY back to normal.
I will either need help getting Service Pack 3 to work on my computer, or, any other ways of getting my computer able to use current programs and be just like if I DID have SP3 (maybe different windows or something, btw I have Windows XP Proffessional), or any other way. ANY help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Did you download from here: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers. Don't worry about the title. It's the standalone install package.

If you can't get SP3 to work for ya, you could try Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

But then, your problem may lie with the "volume license product key" you used.

I just got my computer to work with SP2, thank you :) My question now is how to find out what "Bit" my computer has, so i can proceed to reinstall the driver for my video card that i installed

Go to Control Panel > System. It should tell you on the main info tab. If you have 64bit it should say Windows XP Professional x64. Otherwise it's just your run of the mill 32 bit install.

k, well, I accidently did 64bit, my friend told me it is fine to just guess cause it's what he did, and that doing 64 wouldn't harm the computer (not sure if it's true). Now everything is working fine again, except for the fact that I have no volume icon on the taskbar or whatever, and the computer is not making any noise. I have a amplifier plugged into the back, which in turn have speakers plugged into them...i don't recall ever needing drivers for the amplifier. Any tips?

You need to install the motherboard chipset drivers. They should include the sound drivers also. You can grab them from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

How do I know what site that would be? Im not even sure what motherboard chipset drivers are :S

k i just checked using CPU-Z, and I found out that
1) It is Intel and...
2) If this matters, right after where it says Intel, in the next box it says i915P/i915G

Do you think with that information you could link me to a download, not that I'm too lazy but (another list)...
1) I am still very busy installing stuff back onto my computer...
2) I am also pretty bad at finding things like these :p

Thank You! (And I don't mean for if you do link the thing, I mean for all your help, I really appreciate it, I woulda been doomed if it weren't for my friend showing me this forum)

Oh and btw, I am using Windows XP Professional 2002, SP2 (I think :p)

You found was the motherboard's chipset. What you need to find is the make and model of your motherboard. Just take the side off and look for words/model #'s then google the manufacturer and find the appropriate product on their site. They will have a downloads section with all the drivers you need.

Is this a custom built computer or a prebuilt system such as a Dell or Gateway? If it's a prebuilt, can you post the model number?

Is this a custom built computer or a prebuilt system such as a Dell or Gateway? If it's a prebuilt, can you post the model number?

It's a Gateway, and sorry i failed to mention that im really not good with the actual software part of the computer, to be honest im only good at games, so im not really sure how to find model number, but i'll check cpu-z and edit this in a sec if i find it

k i think i found it in CPU-Z, if this makes sense...D915GAG

Back
Top Bottom