no one has said if it can handle the card yet or not

your right there are none that will fit
so if he needs a new PSU
then he should get a new one and a new case
get rid of that blasted Devil............ i mean DELL
logo
rohan23 has a great suggestion
its just left up to him on his budget

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to look into the tower/power supply combo. All the ideas have been great and gives me many different avenues to explore! Thanks again.

Why spend money at all if the PSU can handle the card?

He wants to upgrade to have some security. Dell is going to overcharge him for the PSU. He's going to spend at least $50+ for it. You can get a new case with a PSU for about the same price. Why not upgrade?

If you pay $50 for a case AND a PSU...I don't think you're getting very much quality. Assuming a 180W can support the video card he's looking to buy, I'd feel more secure with that than with a 500W PSU from $50 case-PSU combo.

If you pay $50 for a case AND a PSU...I don't think you're getting very much quality. Assuming a 180W can support the video card he's looking to buy, I'd feel more secure with that than with a 500W PSU from $50 case-PSU combo.

It's not like Dell's power supplies are high quality. Since he's not doing anything too demanding, he should be fine even with a generic one. I could over clock and ran everything fine with my TRICOD PSU. I just felt more comfortable with a high quality PSU.

Anyone know of a case that a 4300s would fit into?
dell_%20DIMENSION4300S_L.jpg

To tell you the truth, from the looks of your system, you're pretty much stuck with what you have. You would be much better off buying or building a new computer. It would be a waste of good money to try to upgrade that old Dell.

Why spend money at all if the PSU can handle the card?

his psu is 180w, not 300, not 400, but 180, that's downright criminal, with that kind of rating I wouldn't be concerned about it running a video card, I'd be concerned about it's ability to run a whole system, the fact that it's probably old as well doesn't help...

Back
Top Bottom