How to overclock your CPU?

MNI-SmellyCakes

In Runtime
Mainly was wondering how I could overclock my CPU a little bit. I am a gamer, but not like like extreme, and now that I'm getting my power supply (500W) I would definitely feel more comfortable overclocking some.

But not on my 300W, just because I'm already cutting it a little slim w/ this HD 4670 installed..

Is there anyway to do it with some free downloadable software? If I have to go to the BIOS, I will but I really don't want to. (Most likely mess things up.)

Mainly was wondering how I could overclock my CPU a little bit. I am a gamer, but not like like extreme, and now that I'm getting my power supply (500W) I would definitely feel more comfortable overclocking some.

But not on my 300W, just because I'm already cutting it a little slim w/ this HD 4670 installed..

Is there anyway to do it with some free downloadable software? If I have to go to the BIOS, I will but I really don't want to. (Most likely mess things up.)

post your specs, someone on here probably has some experience OCing your setup or one similar...

I'm not an expert, but when I get my new computer I'll start OCing. Or I'll keep this older one and OC this.

Anyways, the better way will be to go into BIOS, but you can use "ClockGen" to temporarily OC your CPU. It only overclocks it while the computer is active, once it's shutdown it will reset back to normal.

Be careful when using this though...

EDIT: Lol forgot the link:
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=189

It's not the best, but something I have on my system, don't use it though.

I'd never recommend using software to overclock. It's better to take the plunge and go through the BIOS. It's very hard to permanently damage your hardware unless you are trying to. As long as you don't set the voltages to ridiculously high levels, you're not going to damage anything.

Like others said, you need to post your specs and some pics of your BIOS would be nice.

Ok,

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+ 2.1GHz (2.11 to be exact)
Now, 500W PSU (OCZ Stealthxsomething)
Sapphire HD 4670 512MB GDDR3
Windows Vista Basic 32-Bit
2GB of 667Mhz Ram
Motherboard is something crappy from Dell.
250GB 7200RPM HDD

Btw, the computer is a Dellinspiron 531.

Ok, I'll upload some pics of my BIOS, hold on.

Doesn't Dell or computers purchased by manufactures have a locked BIOS? I remember my old Gateway did and I know a few Intel boards do that, but I wasn't sure.
My friend has a Dell and you could actually get into the BIOS, but I wasn't sure if I could find the options to regulate the speeds etc of the hardware.

But if you are able to Overclock that 4000+ X2 I could see you easily hitting around 2.4-2.6Ghz range. If your running a Brisbane core which you should check by using CPU-z, then you could probably hit 2.8Ghz.

My 5600+ X2 is Oc'ed to 3,020Mhz or simply 3Ghz at stock voltage.
if you have a Windsor like mine, once you have to raise the Vcore you should just stop.
If I want to get my CPU up to 3,052Mhz I would have to raise the Vcore to 1.5v or somewhere around there. The stock is 1.375v and I can get it stable at 3Ghz at the Vcore, but when you need to raise a Windsor Vcore, you could pretty much call it quits.

Ok, I'll look anyways.

Ok, here are some pics.

100_2372.jpg

100_2373.jpg

100_2374.jpg

100_2375.jpg

100_2376.jpg

Hope this helps.

Sorry, but your BIOS is locked by DELL to prevent overclocking.

Your CPU is an AM2, right? If so, it might be worth buying a new motherboard.
Something with a 780G chipset would be perfect and it wouldn't cost much either.

Oh, ok. No, that's fine..thanks though.

Atm, it's good enough for me. I might upgrade in the future, though.

And yes, it's AM2.

Back
Top Bottom