eBay Question

Sorry I'm posting a dedicated thread, but I want a quick answer. Does eBay charge you monthly to maintain an account? We created one under my dad's name to sell a processor and now they sent him an e-mail with a "monthly invoice". What does this mean?

I've never sold on eBay, but I do know that you have to pay eBay to post an item for sale even if it doesn't sell.

AFAIK They don't charge you to maintain an account. The monthly invoice when i receive it is an invoice of all my listing fees and other charges for the month past. 9/10 times it's an invoice for £0.00 because i mainly buy, but when you sell the invoice will list charges and how much is paid etc.

Oh, I see. I've only sold one thing. I don't understand how the listing is $4.65. Do they include shipping in this price? I do recall seeing a $4.65 taken from the PayPal account from eBay, but no shipping. Hopefully that's what it is....selling + shipping fees.

Ebay does NOT have a monthly fee...The reason they send you a monthly invoice is because some people sell A LOT of stuff on there so instead of them sending you an invoice for every item that you sell you get a complete invoice monthly and take care of ALL the charges at 1 time... If you only sell 1 item then you will receive an invoice for that 1 item at the end of the month but if you never sell anything again you will continue to receive invoices but they will be a charge amount of 0.00...When these come you can just disregard them since obviously you owe them nothing...The charges you receive per item is based on a commission that they charge (of the total price the item goes for) and also there is other small fees which some of them are multiple pictures for your item, starting price, if you have a reserve price set, and I'm sure there is a bunch of other ones as well...

:D

As far as i know you'll have received the cost of the shipping in the money you took from the sale of the item. Then you have to organise the shipping of the item.

Paypal take a commission from the sale price, so do eBay, eBay will also charge you a listing fee.

Oh, I see. I've only sold one thing. I don't understand how the listing is $4.65. Do they include shipping in this price? I do recall seeing a $4.65 taken from the PayPal account from eBay, but no shipping. Hopefully that's what it is....selling + shipping fees.

Ebay Does NOT take out money for shipping...well unless you used www.half.com which is a sister company of ebay (same username and everything) but that is more for textbooks and movies/video-games...On ebay the shipping charges are added into the payment when the person purchasing the item pays for it...You should be able to view the invoice for the charges which will give you a breakdown of exactly why the charges amounted to that...

Oh I see. That would make sense. Shipping was $4.80. The buyer took care of it. The item sold for $91.00. So the buyer paid me $95.80 out of which around $4 was taken for a fee. Then I payed $6.80 for shipping (I decided to include insurance on my own end). So the $4.65 must be eBay's fee of the $91 from the item.

Thank you very much. Rep has been distributed.

edit: I was mistaken about the $4.65 taken from PayPal. That was the shipping fees from USPS.

ebay charge
listing fee
final value fee which is a small percentage of the final value the item sold for not including the shipping
paypal charge
their fees for processing payment a small percentage of all money recieved including shipping

Back
Top Bottom