Easy way to make a computer fail beyond economical repair?

tom-knox

Fully Optimized
What's the easiest way for me to cause this old computer to fail (maintaining the HDD though) so i can convince mum to give me £500 to budget up a new build?

Both nice thoughts.

I'd just like it to fail booting or maybe something a little more spectacular, mum knows that it's on its way out since the PSU is making horrible clattering noises and the thing runs slower than Dwayne Chambers gone cold turkey.

Firecracker in the PSU. Or just take it apart to organize it, and forget to put the spacers on the MOBO. Over volt it. Over load the PSU.

I don't think he wants to scare his mother into thinking that a computer can blow up in your face . . . . but it would be sweet to put a firecracker in the PSU XD

I would just . . . make it over heat! Take off the heat sink and clean the Thermal Compound off and put it back in without the compound! Should work X3

Lock a hamster inside and let it chew the wires X3

Just don't plug the wires in the whole way. Simple, yet effective. Or, just don't plug the HDD in.

Is there a 110V/230V switch on your PSU? If there is, and you're in the US, switch it to 230V.

Damn, you're in Scotland, right?

It would probably just switch off automatically if you took the HSF off, unless it's extremely old.

A bad BIOS flash would be the easiest way to stop it booting.

Back
Top Bottom