Overclocking

A BMW going 60MPH is not slower than a Prius going 65mph ;)

Yes it is.
If both vehicles are travelling at the speeds stated here and pass point A at the same time, the Prius will reach a point (marked B) earlier than the BMW will.

Faster= At a greater speed, a bin rolling at 50mph is faster than an F1 car travelling at 40mph. The bin would cover more space in the same amount of time meaning that is faster at reaching a point.

Yes it is.
If both vehicles are travelling at the speeds stated here and pass point A at the same time, the Prius will reach a point (marked B) earlier than the BMW will.

Faster= At a greater speed, a bin rolling at 50mph is faster than an F1 car travelling at 40mph. The bin would cover more space in the same amount of time meaning that is faster at reaching a point.

I think he's talking more about the "potential" and that the BMW is recognized as a faster car than the Prius no matter what speed they happen to be traveling because at any moment the BMW could just punch it and blow the Prius away...

kinda like the E8500 vs the E6600...

Fair enough but then he should have mentioned stop speeds and acceleration as well as figures such as P/w or P/c.

Maybe i'm just being a stickler but what Crazytiger said there just stuck in me craw.

OK so I am a beginner to computers and am trying to learn as much as possible about them.. So my newest question is about overclocking...From what I understand overclocking is getting your computer components to run faster then they are set for by the manufacturer. Does this increase total usage of your computer or is it more specific to certain areas such as gaming and or programs for like graphic design or editing movie clips and such? I mean i understand its making your computer faster but is it really noticeable in everyday operations or are the risks not worth the reward?

This is a very heated topic. Some say over clocking your parts even a little will dramatically decrease the life of your parts. There is always a risk that you will over volt your hardware and damage it permanently. Depending on what you over clock, you'll see a little to significant performance improvements. Over clocking your GPU won't help you unzip a file. But, it will give you a FPS increase in demanding games. You most likely won't see a increase in everyday usage, just in demanding situations.

A BMW going 60MPH is not slower than a Prius going 65mph
lol strong logic.

I kind of see what you were trying to say, but what if it was an X3?

Back to the original topic.

Overclocking is two things for me:
- Performance gains, especially a good increase in minimum FPS in some games. And as others have mentioned, you can spend less and get more buy buying a lower end CPU and OC'ing it above the clock speeds of some of the higher end stuff. For example, my E3110 (E8400) at stock is slower than an E8600, but overclocked, it's a hell of a lot faster.
And whether you get noticeable gains in performance or not depends on how much of an overclock you get out of your CPU, and the apps you run.
- Bragging rights and just a hobby of trying to push something as far as it will go. Mostly bragging rights.

Overclocking gives you a bigger epeen

:p

Done correctly and in small increments of adjustment overclocking will have next to no adverse effects on computer components.

As to the benefits, a 50% overclocked pc runs ......... 50% faster !!!

What's not to like?

:D

We do amateur OC'ing here. I wish I knew all the physical changes and such that pro OC'ers do.

I can easily overclock to 3.0Ghz with no voltage change. I really don't have any need for anything faster. I did take it to 3.4 once, just to see if I could.

Back
Top Bottom