installing multiple ram

Hashminded

Solid State Member
I have two of the same computers except one is slightly newer, and has slightly different hardware. They are gateway. I got a new ram stick for the newer one and took the ram sticks out of the newer one. I want to put the 2 ram sticks from the newer computer to the older one. Would it work having 4 ram sticks is there anything i should know?

Can you have both a dual processor and a core processor on the same computer

If you have the slots then yes...
BUT! Do both the computers have the same type of RAM? Like DDR, DDR2 or DDR3?

the easiest way to find out if they're the same is to take the RAM out of the older computer and put it side to side with the other RAM that you want to install, if it doesn't match up (the notch) then it isn't the same...

here is a graphical description of the 3 types that older systems might be using (I highly doubt that you have DDR3) if those systems are a couple years old and prebuilts...

SDRAM...

\___/\_________/\____________________/

DDR...

\__________/\________________________/

DDR2...

\______________/\____________________/

the easiest way to find out if they're the same is to take the RAM out of the older computer and put it side to side with the other RAM that you want to install, if it doesn't match up (the notch) then it isn't the same...

here is a graphical description of the 3 types that older systems might be using (I highly doubt that you have DDR3) if those systems are a couple years old and prebuilts...

SDRAM...

\___/\_________/\____________________/

DDR...

\__________/\________________________/

DDR2...

\______________/\____________________/
Haha, nice! +1 another good solution.

so could a computer have a slot for more then one type of ram, and does a computer need a specific type. If i have two of the exact same computers but ones half a year newer would it have different ram slots? and might i have a complication between the two kinds when installing?

The cpu-z program says the type is DDR but theres this thing that says dram frequency and the ones i want to add is DDR2.
The cpu-z also says memory slot selection and that there is 4#'s there and i click on every number and it says they're all ddr

Back
Top Bottom