Maxtor 1TB drive halts

CarpeNoctem

Daemon Poster
Hello,
I bought a 1TB maxtor sata hard drive to go with my maxtor 300GB drive. Since I've installed it, it keeps halting at the sata drive detection screen. It will detect the primary channel, display the size of the primary drive (300GB) and it will detect the secondary channel displaying the 1TB drive name, but it will not diplay the size of the drive. At this point it halts.

Code:
SiI 2332A SATARaid BIOS Version 4.2.12
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Silicon Image Inc.

Press <Ctrl+S> or F4 to enter RAID utility
Primary Channel:       Maxtor 6L300S0
Secondary Channel:   Maxtor STM31000340AS

When I unplug the 1TB drive windows will boot up. Anytime after the SATARaid Loading screen I can plug the drive back in and use windows to load the drive, and it becomes 100% usable. Until I reboot, then it halts once again.

My motherboard is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with an AthlonXP 2800+

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't think the 1st one went through.

I have it set at 150 currently. I thought sata300 is supposed to be backwards compatible with sata150. But I may be mistaken lol.

Sorry, I didn't think the 1st one went through.

I have it set at 150 currently. I thought sata300 is supposed to be backwards compatible with sata150. But I may be mistaken lol.

The designers of SATA aimed for backward and forward compatibility with future revisions of the SATA standard.

According to the hard drive manufacturer Maxtor, motherboard host controllers using the VIA and SIS chipsets VT8237, VT8237R, VT6420, VT6421L, SIS760, SIS964 found on the ECS 755-A2 manufactured in 2003, do not support SATA 3 Gbit/s drives. To address interoperability problems, the largest hard drive manufacturer, Seagate/Maxtor, has added a user-accessible jumper-switch known as the Force 150, to switch between 150 MB/s and 300 MB/s operation. Users with a SATA 1.5 Gbit/s motherboard with one of the listed chipsets should either buy an ordinary SATA 1.5 Gbit/s hard disk, buy a SATA 3 Gbit/s hard disk with the user-accessible jumper, or buy a PCI or PCI-E card to add full SATA 3 Gbit/s capability and compatibility. Western Digital uses a jumper setting called "OPT1 Enabled" to force 150 MB/s data transfer speed. OPT1 is used by putting the jumper on pins 5 & 6.

Nope. It's not backwards compatible on motherboards designed only for SATA150, hence the need for the jumper.

Has the drive been setup and formatted?

Yes, I plug the drive in once windows starts booting and after I set up the partition with disk management, it loads automatically. I have my media on it already and it works fine. So I know there is something i can do with bios, or the raid detection to not have to put my computers life on the line by plugging and unplugging while running lol

I don't remember if you need to have the RAID controller enabled in order to use the SATA ports on that board.

I used to have one of those. Good boards.

BIOS does not detect the sata drives. I think that's because it's version 1006. In version 1008 they added a sata option. So I figured I could flash bios, then stop the raid controller from running on startup and the problem would be fixed.

The raid controller screen didn't originally come up after BIOS, I had to add it to get my first sata drive working. And it's been so long that I don't remember anything I did lol. Anyone know what I need to do to get this off?

When I try to flash BIOS with the AWDFLASH utility by pressing CTRL+F2, I get this error after I enter the BIOS file name.

Code:
The program file's Bios-lock string does not match with your system!
NVMAC: LAN = 0000000*mac adress of ethernet adapter*
NVGUID: 1394 = 00E018000038DABE

So now I'm stuck again. Anyone know a solution to my problem?

How can I stop this raid controller from detecting my hard drives?

I don't want to buy a pci sata controller because I feel its unnecessary. This drive works in windows but the computer will not boot up with it connected. Can someone please help me?

Anyone know why my BIOS will not flash?

Back
Top Bottom