Religon Stuff

As far as I know, the flatness of the earth is not explicitly taught in the Bible. From the early beginnings of Christian theology, it was believed that the earth was round.

I researched it more and all I can come up with is different interpretations drawing that conclusion. So that statement has no validity.

I mean...if God loves everyone, why is there a hell?
This passage from the Catechism of the Catholic Church may help:
We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: "He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him." Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren. To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God's merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self- exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called "hell."

StratosP -
The "solid sky" claim can be explained from this passage in the Book of Enoch:
"This is the first commandment of the luminaries: The sun is a luminary whose egress is an opening of heaven, which is (located) in the direction of the east, and whose ingress is (another) opening of heaven, (located) in the west. I saw six openings through which the sun rises and six openings through which it sets. The moon also rises and sets through the same openings, and they are guided by the stars; together with those whom they lead, they are six in the east and six in the west heaven. All of them (are arranged) one after another in a constant order. There are many windows (both) to the right and the left of these openings. First there goes out the great light whose name is the sun; its roundness is like the roundness of the sky; and it is totally filled with light and heat. The chariot in which it ascends is (driven by) the blowing wind. The sun sets in the sky (in the west) and returns by the northeast in order to go to the east; it is guided so that it shall reach the eastern gate and shine in the face of the sky" (1 Enoch 72:2-5).

See if you guys can help me out with a few more questions I came up with after thinking about it. Now keep in mind I came up with these over little research I have done and things other religious people have told me so I don't know how valid they are. But that is where you come in to correct me.

Does someone live for 900 years? If so how is this possible?

Bible says Pi = 3?

And this flood thing...Hasn't geology proved that the earth was never covered in a great flood? Is there even enough water to cover the entire earth (to flood all of the land that is) and the bury the mountains?

The Ark couldn't possibly have fit 1/100th of the different species on this planet, even if it was just a father species, one species for all canines, one species for all felines, etc.

Under the impression the bible states that the Earth is 6,000 years old, but the earth is billions of years old, and the universe even older.

Was told the earth was surrounded by a sphere of water or something like that.

Does someone live for 900 years? If so how is this possible?

Seems like recorded history is completely unlike biblical history.

I think that is it, thanks for the help.

Interesting:

Did People Like Adam and Noah Really Live over 900 Years of Age?
“Methusaleh lived 900 years . . . but these stories you're liable to read in the Bible, they ain't necessarily so.”1

Along with American composer George Gershwin, many people find it difficult to believe that Methuselah lived to be 969 years old. Nevertheless, the Bible teaches quite plainly that the early patriarchs often lived to be nearly 1,000 years old and even had children when they were several hundred years old! Similar claims of long life spans are found in the secular literature of several ancient cultures (including the Babylonians, Greeks, Romans, Indians, and Chinese). But even a life span of nearly 1,000 years is sadly abbreviated when we consider that God initially created us to live forever.

According to the Bible, God created the first humans—Adam and Eve—without sin and with the ability to live forever. God gave the first human couple everything they needed for their eternal health and happiness in the Garden of Eden; but He warned them not to eat fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil or they would die, as indeed would all their descendants after them (Genesis 2:16–17). When Satan's deception prompted Eve to disobey this command and then Adam willfully disobeyed, their minds and bodies profoundly changed (Genesis 3). Not only did they become subject to death, but their firstborn child (Cain) became the world's first murderer. Truly, the wages of sin is death, physically and spiritually. It is sobering to think that the Bible would have been only a few pages long—from creation to the fall into sin—were it not for the undeserved love of God who both promised and sent the Messiah to save us from sin and death (Genesis 3:15; Isaiah 25:8; Psalm 49:14–15; 1 John 5:13).
See there, even I'm learning new things. I has no idea that there are claims the the early patriarchs lived to be 900 years old.

NetBooger:

Nowhere in the bible does it say the Earth is 6k years old, matter of fact..it states it is billions of years old. Read the first verse of the bible, it says "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth." note that period on the end, the next verse usually reads something similar to "the Earth wa

Back
Top Bottom