OS question.

Is your copy of XP bought from the store?

or

Is it what came from HP when you bought the computer?

If it came pre-installed from HP then the EULA reads like this:

• Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer. THIS LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED, TRANSFERRED TO OR
USED CONCURRENTLY ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS.
The SOFTWARE is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single
integrated product and may only be used with the COMPUTER. If the SOFTWARE is not accompanied by HARDWARE, you may
not use the SOFTWARE. You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA only as part of a permanent sale or
transfer of the COMPUTER, provided you retain no copies, if you transfer the SOFTWARE (including all component parts, the
media, any upgrades, this EULA and the Certificate of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms of this EULA. If the
SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any transfer must also include all prior versions of the SOFTWARE.

EULA

If you bought the copy at a retail store then the EULA reads like this:

14. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different
Workstation Computer.
After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the
former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may
make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided
the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include the Software and
the Proof of License label. The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment.
Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

EULA

It's a Dell OEM XP install.

Doesn't mean that the XP Home wasn't bought and then had the license sticker stuck to the case. That is why they make the pieces of paper with the keys sticky.

Granted it probably is but that determines the legality of the situation so I am proposing the question to make sure.

I have an old HP that is toast. It runs windows XP Home. Can I take the product key off the side of the tower, and install it on a new computer?

I am pretty sure I cant. But I am curious.

It does work. My laptop's HDD fried, I got a new one, did not use the recovery disk, and the other XP disc installed it perfectly, no problems with the key.

edit: All this EULA is bullshit. If you paid for the laptop and it came with a legit CD key, then consequently you paid for the right to use the software. It's yours. You should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it.

Back
Top Bottom