Raid 1

rohan23

Fully Optimized
After seeing Raid 1 at a LAN party yesterday, I really want to add another hard drive. What are the requirements for Raid 1? I know my motherboard supports it.

Here's a nice guide on setting up RAID: Installing RAID on Desktop PCs

Basically you'll need a matching drive with the same specs and capacity. If you have a look through your motherboard manual, it should have instructions on enabling RAID including what drivers you'll need if applicable.

Okay, my friend was running Raid with 2 different size hard drives. I forgot if he was using Raid 0 or 1. I have a 320GB Seagate Barracuda. I'm going to pick up one 1 TB hard drive. Will I lose storage capacity of my current one?

Okay, my friend was running Raid with 2 different size hard drives. I forgot if he was using Raid 0 or 1. I have a 320GB Seagate Barracuda. I'm going to pick up one 1 TB hard drive. Will I lose storage capacity of my current one?

Set up a RAID 1 array with a 320GB and 1TB drive and your going to loose 680GB space on the 1TB drive. That is just a no-no.

When you set up a RAID then use drives of the same capacity.

The only array i'd set up with a 320GB and 1TB drive is JBOD array if I really needed 1.32TB of space.

To be honest i'd leave them seperate.

Back
Top Bottom