Audio Question

You want to look at the +-3db points for speakers, not the -10db point as that's where the music will seem half as loud to a human.

CD music goes all the way down to 20hz, however human's don't hear below 40hz or so, below 40hz is basically "rumble". It's not necessary for music, not much of it contains frequency's that low. Most consumer subwoofers only go down to 40khz or so, as well as many professional ones don't go lower than this as well, as it gets harder and harder to produce these frequency's loudly.

I didn't build that subwoofer in that link as well, my main speakers are 40hz to 20khz so I haven't really felt the need for a subwoofer. May get one on my PC though eventually.

Ah. I didn't think that you used that link, I just though you said that you'd built your own. Must have been someone else!

You'll find that music can/will contain frequency content below 35Hz and well above 30KHz. The thing is you won't hear the low frequencies, you feel them, and the high frequencies tend to add sparkle/glitter to the high end.

Most decent audio amplifiers will replicate frequencies from 1Hz to well above 40Khz.

Read the specs carefully. Just cause an audio item says 20Hz to 20KHz @ -3dB doesn't mean that it wont reproduce frequencies above or below this figure. It will but usually falls off at so many dB's per octave.

Frequencies above and below our audio hearing range are very important, if mixed/mastered correctly.

Back
Top Bottom