Graphics Cards?

Is ATI's GDDR5 better than NVIDIA's DDR3 in GPU's?

What is SLI and Crossfire?
And is the higher VRAM in GPU's in VRAM better? I mean I've seen some GPU's with less RAM but supposed to run faster than another 1gb GPU.

And is the higher VRAM in GPU's in VRAM better? I mean I've seen some GPU's with less RAM but supposed to run faster than another 1gb GPU.

GDDR5 has twice the bandwidth per mhz. So ATI's 256 bit memory bus is, on paper, the same as Nvidias 512 bit bus, but nvida's is much more expensive. Also nvidia and ATI dont make their own RAM, the graphics card makers buy the RAM, the GPU (from ATI or Nvidia), and the PCB and put it all together.

SLI\Crossfire is the ablity to use multiple graphics cards to produce one image (on one monitor). SLI is nvidias version, the latter is ATI's

More VRAM is not always better, it varies between game to game. There is just too many varibles to give a clear answer. If your buying a graphics card VRAM should not be the first thing you look at.

GDDR5 is a faster memory standard, but there's more than just memory type and speed that makes one card faster than another.

SLI and Crossfire are competing technologies from Nvidia and ATI that allow you to connect multiple video cards together, increasing their performance.

SLI Zone - Crossfire FAQ

is the higher VRAM in GPU's in VRAM better? I mean I've seen some GPU's with less RAM but supposed to run faster than another 1gb GPU.
Having more memory doesn't necessarily make the video card faster, it allows you to use larger resolutions without a loss in performance

GDDR5 has twice the bandwidth per mhz. So ATI's 256 bit memory bus is, on paper, the same as Nvidias 512 bit bus, but nvida's is much more expensive. Also nvidia and ATI dont make their own RAM, the graphics card makers buy the RAM, the GPU (from ATI or Nvidia), and the PCB and put it all together.

SLI\Crossfire is the ablity to use multiple graphics cards to produce one image (on one monitor). SLI is nvidias version, the latter is ATI's

More VRAM is not always better, it varies between game to game. There is just too many varibles to give a clear answer. If your buying a graphics card VRAM should not be the first thing you look at.

Then what should it be?
I still don't get the VRAM thing...
Anyways, thanks for the help!
+1

EDIT: Atomic Rooster, thank you as well!
+1

Posting well thought out reply in hope of reps.

VRAM is basically where the GPU will store all the textures before outputting them onto the screen as frames.
The bandwidth is how quickly data can get in and out of the frame buffer (or VRAM). For example:
GDDR3 @ 2000MHz on a 512bit interface will offer the same bandwidth as
GDDR5 @ 4000MHz on a 256bit interface
Hope that explains the GDDR5 vs GDDR3 thing a bit better. Nvidia use GDDR3/512bit on their GTX 280 and ATI use GDDR5/256bit on their HD 4870. Two different methods for achieving high bandwidth.

As the resolutions get higher, the textures get bigger (as in more MB), so more VRAM is desirable. This varies from game to game of course and some games will never fill up a 512MB buffer even at 2560x1600 16xAA etc.

Sometimes in games, you will notice very quick but noticeable freezes, this can be caused by the frame buffer being filled to the brim (among other things).

The only real way to know if a 1GB card is better than a 512MB card for you, is to look through some reviews, look at the res you're playing at, and compare the results, most of the time the difference is small.

Back
Top Bottom