OS question.

HELLO MATTIE!

btw. those live reps sound bored as freak. give them a good joke and they will be willing to do w/e you want...:D

HEY HEY!!

Ya the reps make like $9 bucks an hour and could really care less what they do. They just want to get there day in lol.

I heard that they reset their licensing servers every 6 months anyway (or somthing to that effect).

I've heard the same about the 6 month reset. Although I have not tried it out.

As long as you have the actual CD I wouldn't worry about it. Now if you had that cd and that product code was active on another pc I might be concerned.

you could call microsoft and lie completely just tell them your hd failed so you got a new one and while you where there you got a bit more ram , as long as you bs them enough they usually let you reinstall it

although that is completely illegal still and you do it at your own risk

That actually is the truth...

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;885072 said:
Yes you can. Just type it in and activate it. I've done it with my old gateway computer. Sometimes I have to call to activate it but it still works. If you get a live rep just say you got a virus and had to reformat. They will give you a new registration code.

You did that with an OS that was preoloaded?

I heard that they reset their licensing servers every 6 months anyway (or somthing to that effect).

This computer is fairly old. So should I just install it, and if it doesnt work give Microsoft a call?

yep I have done it heaps of times with preloaded o/s keys

Alright. I will do it. Whats going to happen? Its not really illegal. Its my key. I own it.

you will just have to ring the phone number if it doesn't activate..speak to some indian bloke. Tell him you are reinstalling after an upgrade or virus or whatever and he will give you some numbers to type in then you are good to go. Takes only a couple minutes.

well if its the same computer just try and reinstall it and if it wont validate there will be a screen which says you should call micrisift , then just call them and tell them your story that you are preloading it

if you are preloading it on the same machine then it isnt illegal seeing as the oem license is for that machine but if you are trying to use that license on a completely different machine then technically it is illegal

This is a normal copy of Windows correct? and not some recovery disk/OS restore disk fro HP right?

This is a normal copy of Windows correct? and not some recovery disk/OS restore disk fro HP right?

I have both. But Yes, It is a regular Windows XP Home

you will just have to ring the phone number if it doesn't activate..speak to some indian bloke. Tell him you are reinstalling after an upgrade or virus or whatever and he will give you some numbers to type in then you are good to go. Takes only a couple minutes.

Is this legal? i just got busted for copyright infringment. I dont need that the case. I am not seeing how this would be legal. I bought the PC. it came with Windows Disc and a key. I own it, its mine.

Moving an OEM version of XP or replacing the OEM motherboard with non-OEM is usually not allowed by the OEM EULA, so a call to the activation center will probably disallow activation on the new PC even when removed from the old PC. According to Microsoft©, OEM versions are technically linked to the PC to which they are first installed. Consult the vendor EULA and OEM EULA for exceptions and requirements. I.E. the Dell EULA allows transfer with the motherboard.
Legally, it can't be done.

Back
Top Bottom