OS question.

Austinn1

Daemon Poster
I have an old HP that is toast. It runs windows XP Home. Can I take the product key off the side of the tower, and install it on a new computer?

I am pretty sure I cant. But I am curious.

As far as i know. No. The OS would have generated a hash key which registered the content of your system and if their's a completely different system the hash key will differ and you won't be able to register the OS with that key. You'll get 30 days of XP and then you'll have to buy a product key.

Thats what I thought. But, I was hoping their might be a slim chance. Wonder if a call to Microsoft would help. I know sometimes they'll let you transfer it..

you could call microsoft and lie completely just tell them your hd failed so you got a new one and while you where there you got a bit more ram , as long as you bs them enough they usually let you reinstall it

although that is completely illegal still and you do it at your own risk

Or you could just tell the truth and say that your machine is toast and you had to replace it.

I have had to call them plenty to allow my OS to register due to all my OS reloads and I have never had a problem.

Not to mention I have installed the same OS on two different machines at the same time as well.

If it is running the OS that was pre-installed with the HP machine then you CANNOT according to the EULA transfer that license to another machine.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;885072 said:
Yes you can. Just type it in and activate it. I've done it with my old gateway computer. Sometimes I have to call to activate it but it still works. If you get a live rep just say you got a virus and had to reformat. They will give you a new registration code.

HELLO MATTIE!

btw. those live reps sound bored as freak. give them a good joke and they will be willing to do w/e you want...:D

I heard that they reset their licensing servers every 6 months anyway (or somthing to that effect).

Back
Top Bottom