New computer won't boot up?

viperrgh2

Solid State Member
I just built my new computer that has

- MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
-OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply
-ASUS EAH4670/DI/512M/A Radeon HD 4670
- LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner

I put all these components in an older style full size atx case, everything is new and just installed in the case, currently the power on functions of the case are not being used I'm trying to just use the power on on the mobo. Anyways, I hit power on and everything seems to run for just a 1/2 second and then turns off, I hit on again and get nothing, I have to turn off the power then back on to get the same results which still only lasts for 1/2 a second. Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Go through and make sure everything is seated correctly and firmly. Check the CPU, memory, all cables and wires. Make sure your power cables are all connected such as the main 24 pin and auxiliary 6/8 pin connectors. Is it beeping it all?

what do you mean the "power on functions of the case" and the "power on on the motherboard"...? are you just using the power switch on the back of the psu...?

make sure your video card is seated properly
mine wasnt and it didnt boot took me about an hour it figure out why not

Hang on. The motherboard has Power and Reset buttons onboard. So you can power this up without connecting it to the front panel buttons.

Make sure you power it up with a 24 pin ATX, near the RAM, and the 4 pin near the VRM heatsinks that says 'CIRCU-PIPE'.

Post some pictures of the connections if you can.

So I figured out the problem, the back of the mobo was shorting out on the older style case that I presume isn't built to hold this mobo (I had to cut sections out to begin with just to fit it in). Right now the comp is working fine with the mobo un-screwed and spaced from the case, probably just going to make life easier and buy a new case...

Are you using these...

standoff2.jpg

... to mount the motherboard on?

they should have came with your case or your motherboard, otherwise you would have to go to a computer shop and buy them. Best Buy, Circuit City, Stapes WONT carry them i dont think.

nope, where do I get em?

Yea any computer store will stock them. Thats why your motherboard was shorting out and you had to cut-to-fit.

Your fitting an ATX motherboard to a full size 'ATX' case so no cutting at all needs to be done.

Once you get the 'motherboard stand offs', you'll need 6 at least, moung them on the motherboard tray then mount the motherboard on these.

Then you'll be ok.

Back
Top Bottom