Imagine using this as a computer...

it would be extremly slow. cpus perform trillions of calculations every hour, the brain obviosly cant. the advantag the brain has is it has the ablity to make logical decions based on whats ideal. and it "programs" itself

"A computer like this can execute approximately 100 million instructions per second. Your particular machine might be twice that fast or half that fast, but that's the ballpark."

"Your brain, on the other hand, can understand any number of speakers. It needs no training and will make zero mistakes. It may even be able to understand multiple languages! And the speech processing portion of your brain is just one small part of the whole package -- your brain can also process complex visual images, control your entire body, understand conceptual problems and create new ideas. Your brain is made up of about one trillion cells with 100 trillion connections between those cells. We might take a rough estimate and say it is handling 10 quadrillion instructions per second, but it really is hard to say."

I'm going to go with a brain as a computer.

it would be extremly slow. cpus perform trillions of calculations every hour, the brain obviosly cant. the advantag the brain has is it has the ablity to make logical decions based on whats ideal. and it "programs" itself

WRONG!

"A computer like this can execute approximately 100 million instructions per second. Your particular machine might be twice that fast or half that fast, but that's the ballpark."

"Your brain, on the other hand, can understand any number of speakers. It needs no training and will make zero mistakes. It may even be able to understand multiple languages! And the speech processing portion of your brain is just one small part of the whole package -- your brain can also process complex visual images, control your entire body, understand conceptual problems and create new ideas. Your brain is made up of about one trillion cells with 100 trillion connections between those cells. We might take a rough estimate and say it is handling 10 quadrillion instructions per second, but it really is hard to say."

I'm going to go with a brain as a computer.

Much more scientific and a lot closer to the truth, Crazytiger, maybe there's something wrong with YOUR brain, but we're all ok.

WRONG!

Much more scientific and a lot closer to the truth, Crazytiger, maybe there's something wrong with YOUR brain, but we're all ok.

Haha, well said. I wonder how well my brain would handle Crysis.....

imagine a computer running off George's brain. It would struggle to get pacman up and running

Now that's funny! Trillions every hour? Wow!
CPU's are getting closer to having 1 billion transistors on them as a standard! I believe some have around 700-800 million while GPU's are already getting into the billion range.

Even if you have 500 million transistors on a simple CPU running at 2Ghz= 2000Mhz = 2,000,000,000 hertz (I think if my math is correct)

Now if Hertz is-
The hertz (symbol: Hz) is a measure of frequency per unit of time, or the number of cycles per second.

If a CPU with 500 million transistors is running at a series of 2 billion cycles per second that's a lot of data. I don't know the definition of an instruction would be in this, but I know that's a lot of cycles of data per second!

Back
Top Bottom