Help me please, my computer is messed!

vaziri07

Baseband Member
Hi,
I just had a new video card and 256mb of ram added to my computer, and for the first night games that at first could not run were working fine on my computer. However, now my computer is suddenly really messed up. Here are some of the problems
Game related -
Whenever my games get to videos (not all but most, like the higher end ones, such as Silent Hill: Homecoming) the videos lag really bad until the game simply freezes, and I have to alt+f4 or it simply makes my computer crash. Since it was already working before, I have a feeling it's not hardware related but more virus related.
Computer related -
About 50% of the time that I turn on my computer, it never fully loads my desktop, and I am forced to restart it with the power button because it freezes permanently (I tried leaving it on for a full day, didn't unfreeze)

I have a feeling that I have a virus, and I have AVG Free, which says that some of my stuff is outdated. When I try to visit the site to update it, it says that connection to site was failed, even if I do it without using the link.

For some reason now, whenever I try to use internet explorer, which used to be the better of Mozilla and IE for me, it simply freezes, and I am forced to restart.

Last thing - I am considering doing the thing where my computer goes back to a certain date, but I am not sure if a) it can mess up my computer from having the video card in but not the drivers yet or something along those lines and b) if any games i have downloaded or installed will still be on the computer, because i have a download at about 95% and it would be a shame to lose it. I would completely reset my computer if not for the fact that I have some games that take a matter of days to install, such as WoW, and I don't have a key, but i do have a burnt cd from one of my family friends who is good with computers (he installed the video card and ram, said everything should work fine)

Thanks for any help, it would be greatly appreciated, I know thats a long read ;)

p.s the video card is what i just got for xmas, a 1gb Radeon HD 4670

Did you install the drivers from the disk or from the website? If it's from the disk, that could be the problem. Uninstall the ATI drivers and go to the website and install it from there.

okay, but before i do is it possible for it to happen that the game was running fine, and now it's not? and yes, it was off the cd's

oh, and do you think you could link me to their site? i always have lots of trouble with finding drivers...hopefully i'll be able to have my computer fixed by tomorrow, before i leave. Happy new years btw :)

where are you downloading your games from?
that could be where you are picking up any viruses!

how much ram do you have in your p.c?

Check the CPU heatsink and make sure it's properly seated.

Could you have knocked it or un-seated it slightly when upgrading the Graphics Card & RAM?

Just a thought cause the fault your describing sounds like a CPU thermal problem.

Check the CPU heatsink and make sure it's properly seated.

Could you have knocked it or un-seated it slightly when upgrading the Graphics Card & RAM?

Just a thought cause the fault your describing sounds like a CPU thermal problem.

i sorta thought that, but i trust that the person who installed it is very proffessional, and i also tried letting my computer stay off for a long time, didn't help if that makes sense...
also, the drivers are currently uninstalling (i had an option of remove graphics drivers but leave chipset, or remove all, i did remove all)

i sorta thought that, but i trust that the person who installed it is very proffessional, and i also tried letting my computer stay off for a long time, didn't help if that makes sense.

Ok thats cool. If you have any temperature monitors then run those just to be on the safe side.

I usually download, Run a scan on the file, then un-rar it then run another scan.

And if everything is ok i'm running it.

okay, im about to restart computer to finish the uninstall, after i might need a link for the drivers from the internet...also, i am hoping this works because i just want my computer to go back to normal so i can play all the games i never could (people tell me i might even be able to play Lost Planet, a game i've always wanted to try, never been able to...as well as Oblivion, and said Silent Hill, not to mention all the games on my shelf)

Ok.

You have the graphics drivers on CD?

You need mother board drivers? Whats your motherboard?

EDIT: And let me know your OS.

k, so i restarted the computer, and my resolution went back to beign BIG, so i think the uninstall worked...i still ended up having to shut it down and restart a few times, im currnetly on another computer...umm if motherboard is what i think it is Pentium 4, 3.00ghz, and i HAD 500something mb of ram (not 512), and just installed the extra 256 same day as the video card.

oh, and Windows XP

umm...i have the cd's for the video card, but that's what the guy already installed when he put it in, don't i need to get it from internet instead?
and i don't think i need motherboard driver.

i only uninstalled the graphics driver / chipset driver, whatever those mean lol im not good with this kinda stuff, i just wanna play my video games :'( lol

Back
Top Bottom